Menu

In Search of a Scorpion Book

RootAnn

My 8 yr old son is looking for a scorpion book that describes types of scorpions and describes their various characteristics, habitats, and hunting/food choices. We found many books in the 2nd/4th grade level (25 pages) that are too simplistic. He's willing to wade through something meatier - up to 80-100 pages as long as there are pictures! So, a shorter adult-level book or something more on the lines of a hefty middle grade or short high school level non-fiction book.

There were some that mixed spiders in - and he's not too excited by the 80/20 spider/scorpion mix. Anyone have good titles (links to Amazon appreciated). He has some Christmas gift cards to spend.

hmmmm.... both of these are from the pet-owning standpoint, which may NOT be what YOU would like to encourage ;):

Scorpions: Complete Pet Owner's Manual -- by Manny Rubio

Scorpions (Advanced Vivarium Systems) -- by Jerry Walls

Other ideas:

Scorpions for Kids (Amazing Animal Readers) -- by John Davidson

Scorpions: Strange and Wonderful -- by Laurence Pringle

The Book of Spiders and Scorpions -- Rod Mafham

Also don't know how you'd feel about this (or how ethical this is):

- Scorpion Puzzle Dig Kig: Excavate a Real Preserved Scorpion

Edited by Lori D.

Found all those (and more!) in our Amazon search (except for the Puzzle Dig Kit book. Lol!) Either too simplistic, more on the breeding/keeping aspect, or too heavily spider-infested. Yes, he knows scorpions in the class Arachnida, but he'd rather 80% of the book not be on spiders. 

Think something on this level - but for scorpions. He'd take something even to this level  (again, for scorpions).

Closest we've found is The Secret Life of the Amazing Living Fossil - not quite there and really pricey, but closer than Scorpions: Armored Stingers, for example.

:coolgleamA: I appreciate the try, Lori!

ETA: I wish I knew what Scorpions (Nature's Predators) looked like inside or had a few reviews to read.

Edited by RootAnn

Nope, not seeing anything else besides kids books, other than this Kindle book: Scorpions of Southern Africa. I tried a search on "scholarly research on scorpions", and only got a few hits on the venom research. Which leads to me to think that there are not higher level works solely about scorpions, other than the one I just linked, or the breeding/pet-owning books linked above.

Here are a few websites; all are at a simple level (but with more good photos ;) ):

A-Z Animals: Scorpion

National Geographic: Scorpions

BBC Nature: Scorpions

San Diego Zoo: Scorpion

Desert USA: Scorpions

Scorpion Worlds: Facts and Information

Scorpion Sweepers: Facts & Information

ASU: Ask a Biologist: Not so Scary: Scorpion

Wikipedia: Scorpion -- try using the bibliography to find more info/links

Good luck in finding something! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Okay, how about this: Scorpions of the World (Stockmann) = $95, a scorpion identification book.

Or, even though it does have info on the pet ownership, plus on other critters: Scorpions Plus Other Popular Invertebrates = $10 used; $7.50 on Kindle.

Or, Scorpion Man: Exploring the World of Scorpions; primarily about scorpion ecologist Gary Polis, but also sums up much of his research on scorpions. $12.

Found those titles from this website: Scorpion Literature: Popular Books.