Menu

Latin, what should I use?

Melenie

I am looking for a music based Latin program for DD in Kindergarten next year. I also want something to teach myself (complete novice here). I was was hoping to find a program that I can start now and DD can do in 1-2 years.

So far I am leaning toward Song School Latin for Kindergarten, but am not sure what to use for myself.

Any suggestions?

I was was hoping to find a program that I can start now and DD can do in 1-2 years.

Hm... I think finding a Latin program suitable for adult learners and seven-year-old children is going to be a bit of a stretch. Maybe Getting Started With Latin? I think you'd have to choose between asking your 7yo to do an adult Latin program slowly or taking yourself through a child's Latin program quickly.

I am looking for a music based Latin program for DD in Kindergarten next year. I also want something to teach myself (complete novice here). I was was hoping to find a program that I can start now and DD can do in 1-2 years.

So far I am leaning toward Song School Latin for Kindergarten, but am not sure what to use for myself.

Any suggestions?

Song School Latin is a good choice for a music-based Latin program for a kindergartener. The book and CD are aimed at ages K-3. It's really an exploratory type program that introduces children in this age group to Latin vocabulary. This program will not teach you or your child Latin grammar. But it is a nice, gentle introduction and your child will learn some fun, basic vocabulary in the context of English language songs that intersperse Latin vocabulary throughout. My child enjoys this set.

If you want to learn Latin, there are a lot of books and programs out there! Wheelocks is probably the best known; you can find that book in just about any bookstore. (Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.) It is a college level textbook, though can be used by middle school and high school students (at a slower pace.) It's a grammar-oriented textbook. There's a lot of online support for this book. Other grammar oriented textbooks that are popular include (in no particular order) Henle Latin, Latin for Americans, Galore Park Latin, Latin for Children, Teach Yourself Latin, and so on.

There are also Latin textbooks that teach with an emphasis on reading fluency. Cambridge Latin, Ecce Romani, and Oxford Latin are well known reading-oriented textbooks. These are high school textbooks. A popular elementary reading-based textbook is Minimus, which precedes Cambridge, but could be used prior to any other textbook as well. Reading-oriented textbooks teach grammar, but emphasize reading the language in context and learning grammatical concepts in a particular order to promote reading fluency, whereas the grammar-based textbooks teach all the chants up front and don't present reading material until well into the course.

Latin for the New Millennium is a newer textbook that emphasizes grammar and reading fluency; what's particularly nice about this textbook is that it presents Latin chronologically over time. The first textbook covers the first 1000 years of Latin literature (history, poetry, drama, prose) from about the second century BC to about 400 AD. The second book (not yet published) is supposed to present a lot of medieval and Renaissance era Latin literature. (Latin was still used as the language of scholars during these periods.) If you're interested in the idea of Latin Centered Curriculum, it's quite a promising series.

A very popular immersion/direct method textbook is Oerberg's Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, which is fully in Latin and even teaches Latin grammar in Latin. Some people spend some time working through the first few chapters of a grammar based course then move to Oerberg's.

If you want to learn Latin, there are a lot of books and programs out there! Wheelocks is probably the best known; you can find that book in just about any bookstore. (Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.) It is a college level textbook, though can be used by middle school and high school students (at a slower pace.) It's a grammar-oriented textbook. There's a lot of online support for this book. Other grammar oriented textbooks that are popular include (in no particular order) Henle Latin, Latin for Americans, Galore Park Latin, Latin for Children, Teach Yourself Latin, and so on.

There are also Latin textbooks that teach with an emphasis on reading fluency. Cambridge Latin, Ecce Romani, and Oxford Latin are well known reading-oriented textbooks. These are high school textbooks. A popular elementary reading-based textbook is Minimus, which precedes Cambridge, but could be used prior to any other textbook as well. Reading-oriented textbooks teach grammar, but emphasize reading the language in context and learning grammatical concepts in a particular order to promote reading fluency, whereas the grammar-based textbooks teach all the chants up front and don't present reading material until well into the course.

Latin for the New Millennium is a newer textbook that emphasizes grammar and reading fluency; what's particularly nice about this textbook is that it presents Latin chronologically over time. The first textbook covers the first 1000 years of Latin literature (history, poetry, drama, prose) from about the second century BC to about 400 AD. The second book (not yet published) is supposed to present a lot of medieval and Renaissance era Latin literature. (Latin was still used as the language of scholars during these periods.) If you're interested in the idea of Latin Centered Curriculum, it's quite a promising series.

A very popular immersion/direct method textbook is Oerberg's Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, which is fully in Latin and even teaches Latin grammar in Latin. Some people spend some time working through the first few chapters of a grammar based course then move to Oerberg's.

Thanks for all the great information and taking the time to write it down for me. I will keep it for future use. My library has Minimus, so I have ordered it online and will start there.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anne Lee

Thank you for this well-written summary. I am in the middle of deciding on a Latin text for our 6th -8th graders. Pros and cons with both philosophies of teaching Latin, whole-to-part and vice versa. One has to ultimately decide on these factors: audience (With which method and style of presentation of materials will your particular group of students learn the best?), teachability (Which will the teacher be able to introduce and teach the concepts the best), supplemental materials (what does the teacher and student need for further understanding and interest) and lastly, cost (Will it break the bank or jsut make a dent in it?)

Just found this forum. I think it is wonderful!