Menu

Which one of the Colfax's books to read?

Homeschooling for Excellence describes how they homeschooled. What types of books they read and how the boys spent their days when they were growing up.

Hard Times in Paradise describes how they settled their homestead. It's fascinating reading because they built their house themselves...just the two parents and the four boys.

So I would say that it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for an insight into how they unschooled, then I would read the first book. If you're more interested in the overall story of their lives, then read the second book.

Hope this helps!! Btw...I met David Colfax at a homeschooling conference years ago and he was a fascinating speaker!! So I own both books -- and autographed, too! :D

Homeschooling for Excellence or Hard Times in Paradise? I think I read them both YEARS ago and only have time for one right now to refresh my inspiration. Which one would be that be? THANKS!

Homeschooling for Excellence since it is shorter, but I love Hard Times in Paradise. Hard Times in Paradise reminds me to give the children way more respect, include them in decision-making and trust them with important responsibities. Oh, and it reminds me that even the best parents make mistakes