Menu

Remember my oatmeal cookies?

Night Elf

The ones that were runny and baked flat so I added another 1/2 cup flour and they came out great? I was looking over the recipe just now and I'm positive I did not half the brown sugar. I halved all of the other ingredients but I know I put in 3/4 cup brown sugar. DH thinks the cookies are delicious. He took them to work and guys on his team took some and loved them. So, was my original problem with my flat cookies due to having too much sugar in the dough?

Easily. Sugar is hygroscopic -- it absorbs water -- which then releases during baking, causing cookies to spread. It's one reason that cookies intended for use as shaped cookies (or especially cookie-press cookies) tend to have comparatively low sugar contents (for example, my favorite recipe has 1/4c sugar for a cup of flour and a stick of butter) because a large spread will blur the shape. 

• Like 3

Easily. Sugar is hygroscopic -- it absorbs water -- which then releases during baking, causing cookies to spread. It's one reason that cookies intended for use as shaped cookies (or especially cookie-press cookies) tend to have comparatively low sugar contents (for example, my favorite recipe has 1/4c sugar for a cup of flour and a stick of butter) because a large spread will blur the shape.

Likewise, if you forget the sugar, the batter often has a stiffer texture. I have done that a couple of times with a quick bread. Just mixing in the forgotten sugar makes a huge difference in the consistency of the batter.