Menu

English for 10th

I am starting to think ahead to 10th grade (dd is currently in 9th).  My dd will have taken three high school level outsourced English classes: Introduction to Literature & Composition, American Literature & Composition and British Literature & Composition.  She also took a summer intensive grammar course last year.

I am not sure what kind of English course she needs next.  AP sounds too demanding but I have no experience with it.  I've looked at Blue Tent's Honors classes but she has already read at least half of the assigned books. 

Suggestions?

Cindy Lange will be adding to her classes at Integritas Academy with Honors Lit & Comp 2 (not sure if I have that title exactly right). You might reach out to her to get a class description/reading list. We’ve found her teaching to be excellent, though we’re just in her Indroduction to Pursuasive Writing Through Literature course with my DD13.

• Like 2

... I've looked at Blue Tent's Honors classes but she has already read at least half of the assigned books. 

When you say your DD has already read at least half of the assigned books... Do you mean "read and studied" -- or do you mean "read for pleasure"? If the second, then taking a class in which you have read/have familiarity with the book is not a bad thing -- it means now you can read a second time with eyes focused on going deeper into the work, rather than just reading to find out what happens ;).

On the other hand if your student has already studied all of those previously read works, or if you have a student who refuses to read a book more than once, then that really does shoot down doing a class where half of the books have already been read before.

I am starting to think ahead to 10th grade (dd is currently in 9th).  My dd will have taken three high school level outsourced English classes: Introduction to Literature & Composition, American Literature & Composition and British Literature & Composition.  She also took a summer intensive grammar course last year.

I am not sure what kind of English course she needs next.  AP sounds too demanding but I have no experience with it...

Sounds like your student is advanced in literature & composition -- is that 3 full credits of outsourced high school English, or 3 semesters (0.5 credits) by the end of 9th grade? Either way, sounds like she is working at an advanced rate. :) And your student's English credits so far have provided a very solid foundation in Composition and also in the "usual suspects" (lol) of classic literature.

Since your student is way ahead of the usual progression, one thought is that your student could branch out and explore a bit, and could "specialize" in an area, if she's esp. interested in writing and/or literature. :)

You could do a course that focuses just on writing:

- Journalism

- Technical Writing

- Creative Writing -- novel, short story, or poetry

- writing the research paper

- SAT/ACT essay writing, or college admission essay writing

Or you could do a course that focuses on a more specific area of literature:

- Ancient Classic Literature

- Medieval Classic Literature

- World Literature

- focus on Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen, or other author

- focus on a genre of special interest: fantasy, sci-fi, epics, gothic, etc.

- focus on a topic of interest: 19th century female authors, Japanese Manga, literature & film, plays, etc.

Or, is your student interested in just knocking out the required 4 credits of English early on in high school in order to focus on the subject of special interest to her (say, Science, or one of the Fine Arts)? In which case, it sounds like your DD would just need one more English credit, and pretty much anything would work well. (And if that is the case, then NOT doing AP English would be fine, in order to focus on the subject DD is more passionate about.)

Would you and your student enjoy designing your own course to allow your student to delve into a genre or author (or several authors) or time period/location of literature? That allows your student to follow a passion.

Or do you need to outsource? Here are a few ideas of course providers that offer Honors or more rigorous courses:

- dual enrollment at your local university or community college for:

* the Writing 101 & 102 that would knock out the general ed. requirement for a future college degree

* or a Literature or Writing course of special interest to your student

- Wilson Hill Academy

* Get to Know... literature courses (each class focuses on one author: JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Jane Austen, Fyodor Dostoevsky)

* The Great Conversation (6 different chronological time periods of classic lit. & theology)

* Modern Literature & Thought

- Lukeion Project

* Mythology series

* Shakespeare's Greeks & Romans

- The Potter's School

* Speculative Fiction

* Poetry Survey

* Modern History Lit & Composition (Honors)

* Literature Through Film

* Christian Literature... (Annie Dillard & Marilynne Robinson; or -- CS Lewis)

* English 4/5: Journeys & Quests

* English 4/5: Children's Literature Analysis & Essay

* English 4/5: Western Lit & Composition: God & Man

* Bible as Literature

- Brave Writer -- take 2-3 short classes to equal one semester

* Advanced Composition

* Essay Prep

* Expository Essay

* MLA Research Essay

* SAT/ACT Essay Class

* College Admissions Essay

* Writing: Passion for Fiction

* Writing the Short Story

* Writing: Fan Fiction

* Writing: Playing with Poetry

* Writing: The Scoop: The Art of Journalism

* High School Writing Projects

Just some questions to get you started thinking through what your student's interests and needs are, and what your goals are, for high school English. :) BEST of luck in finding what works best for your student! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Thanks Lori for taking the time to provide so many resources.

Yes, she will earn three high school credits.  The books I am referring to are ones she has throughly read/discussed/written essays for in the above classes.

I have loosely designed an intensive Shakespeare course for her to complete spring & summer term if she wants to earn an additional elective half credit. She would be reading/studying The Winter’s Tale, Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew and The Merchant of Venice.

I think she needs to work on writing more research papers however I've run into a couple of issues with finding the right class.  Some providers are adamant that students be a specific age/grade. Additionally, I am looking for a secular course not specifically rooted in historic research but rather science and/or social research. Maybe Bravewriter would work with us.

I just want to make sure she is all ready for the demands of college writing so her 10th grade needs to prepare her.  She plans to DE for 11th/12th either at our local CC or university and she's going for a biology degree. 

I have loosely designed an intensive Shakespeare course for her to complete spring & summer term if she wants to earn an additional elective half credit. She would be reading/studying The Winter’s Tale, Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew and The Merchant of Venice.

Sounds great! :)

Instead of an elective, why not ease up on your current schedule and take off during the summer to help your DD avoid burnout, and instead make that the Lit. portion of the 4th English credit next fall semester of 10th grade, and then in the following spring semester of 10th grade, do a 0.5 credit online course of writing for the other 0.5 credit of the last English credit? Just a thought. ;)

...I think she needs to work on writing more research papers however I've run into a couple of issues with finding the right class.  Some providers are adamant that students be a specific age/grade. Additionally, I am looking for a secular course not specifically rooted in historic research but rather science and/or social research. Maybe Bravewriter would work with us.

You might ask one of the providers if you can submit several of your DD's essays/papers for them to see if her writing level is at-level with the class, to see if they will budge on the age rule. Just a thought! :)

Don't know if any of these are adamant about age, or if they will be challenging enough, but these are online writing classes with a research paper focus, in addition to the above-linked Brave Writer MLA Research Paper course:

Write at Home -- high school workshops of Literary Analysis; Informative Research Paper; and Persuasive Research Paper

Time 4 Writing: High School Writing for Research Papers

EdX: How to Write an Essay -- this is a free MOOC course at intro college level

Or... what about looking into finding a good local tutor to meet weekly with your DD and oversee writing assignments and grading/commenting? Or a local homeschool co-op with a good writing teacher? Or another homeschool parent who excels in writing and swap out -- she oversees her own child and your DD with writing, and you oversee both your DD and the other family's student in a subject area of *your* strength?

Warmest regards, Lori D.

I think she needs to work on writing more research papers however I've run into a couple of issues with finding the right class.  Some providers are adamant that students be a specific age/grade. Additionally, I am looking for a secular course not specifically rooted in historic research but rather science and/or social research. Maybe Bravewriter would work with us.

I just want to make sure she is all ready for the demands of college writing so her 10th grade needs to prepare her.  She plans to DE for 11th/12th either at our local CC or university and she's going for a biology degree. 

Hmm. CLRC has a one year research writing and critical analysis class. While it starts with some history work, the second semester could be an interesting social research angle. (I feel like in previous years that this class has had research writing of various sorts, so next year's offerings may be different. For some reason, I thought last year's was more science-based. But, we haven't taken this class ever, so I don't know.) I think CLRC would be a bit more flexible with age/grades than some other providers. They've been good to work with for us. 

• Like 1

Thank you Lori!  Yes, I may change up how she earns another English credit, we do need a break:) I will contact some of the potential providers regarding the age requirements.  Write At Home looks interesting.  While my dd's plan is DE in 11th, we are also seriously talking about sending her to be an exchange student that year.

RootAnn, I saw that class offered but my dd would prefer a secular course. CLRC is wonderful:)

• Like 1