Menu

Winter promise American II...

Kim in SouthGa

Anyone use this? I am considering it for my 3 kiddos, who will be 8 (2nd/3rd grade), 9 (4th/5th grade), and 12 (7th grade). I will get the add on Middlers pack, but am wondering if that will make it enough for my oldest. He is really into wars right now. My plan for him is to finish American History this year, do a geography study next year (either sonlight, mfw, or wp), and then start with the anicients again for 9th.

Thanks, Kim

Just FYI, there is a schedule included in the IG for reading Hakim's History of US series along with the AS2 study. So that's an option many use for older students. There are also suggestions for other added readings. I think it depends on what your ds has done in the past and what your goals are for him in this study.

It *is* recommended for grades 4-6 with the middler package, but I believe you can beef most studies up if you like.

You could call Karen Brooks at WP and discuss this with her. The Brooks are very friendly and supportive people.

I am using AS II & Middler pack with my 5th grade son. I must say, that after three full years of using Sonlight, WP feels extremely 'light'. The reading load is VERY light, especially in the main program. The middler set is just more of the same, but at a higher level. We are doing BOTH and it still feels light to us? Not to mention sometimes redundant. I have added in many of the SL Core 4 readers and read-alouds to help beef it up as well.

Having said that, WP seems light due to the nature of the program. It is heavy on crafty-type activities, and notebooking. My son dislikes both, so needless to say we have more time on our hands for reading. If your two youngers are into hands-on learning then you may find WP perfect for your needs. My son finds them a waste of time. :o

As already mentioned, WP provides a schedule for A History of US by Hakim which you could use with your oldest. We used these books in high school with SL's core 100 (our very favorite school year to date). The Hakim set is highly interesting and plenty meaty for a 7th grader. My suggestion for you would be to get as many of the AS II middler books that you can from the library and have a look through them before deciding. This will give you a better idea on whether they are enough for your 7th grader. You may just want to get the Hakim books and add in some other historical biographies and/or fiction on your own for him. Beef it up with some of the DK Eyewitness books perhaps. Some that would go well with AS II are: Spy, Space Exploration, Wild West, Cowboy, WWI, WWII, Vietnam War, Battle, Train, and even First Ladies (middler set does a president study). Most libraries carry these. Of course there are many resources that you could use besides DK...we just enjoy the pictures in them. ;)

Depending on your child, you may find AS II's middler perfect with no additions. I suggest you investigate with a visit to the library (or a good book store).

Blessings,