Menu

Can I get some help picking out a Keurig type machine?

Zebra

I drink the Starbucks via instant lattes regularly.  It's basically like a hot chocolate packet, you just pour in hot water.   DH doesn't drink coffee.  For tea I have this ancient recipe passed down through the generations of my family.  (I put a bag in a mug, and pour hot water over it.)  So, a Keurig type machine has always seemed useless in our situation.

A few years ago I noticed that they were starting to replace all those instant cocoa/coffee drinks with K cups every where I shop.   And I thought at the time, "Oh no, I'll have to get a Keurig eventually just like a cell phone..." even thought I don't have the space in my kitchen, or think it makes any sense to buy a machine to pour hot water into an instant mix :blink: .

But alas, progress has come, the packets are getting harder to find particularly IRL.   The k-cups are getting cheaper than the packets, and it may be time to buy a Keurig (or are there other brands?), or give up caffeine  :lol: .   

I would love suggestions of what machine to get.  The cheapest one I can find that seems reasonable in our situation is a "keurig k mini" but I have no idea what I am looking for.  It will only be used on average 1 or 2 times a day, and needs to be as small as possible.  Inexpensive is also good.

:lurk5:

Why don't you use a similar method for coffee as for tea? You could use a Melitta or even a French press. Dump in ground coffee, add water, done. Both are super easy to throw in the dishwasher and you don't have to worry about cleaning a machine. If you want to get fancy you could grind your own coffee beans.

• Like 1

Why don't you use a similar method for coffee as for tea? You could use a Melitta or even a French press. Dump in ground coffee, add water, done. Both are super easy to throw in the dishwasher and you don't have to worry about cleaning a machine. If you want to get fancy you could grind your own coffee beans.

Because I don't drink "real" coffee.  I drink an instant mix that comes from Starbucks.   Instant coffee and who knows what else.  I've tried recipes that swear it will make the same thing from scratch, but it's not the same.      

Edited by Zebra