Menu

Exploring math for K

PentecostalMom

My youngest ds just turned six and would be in K if in ps. I am somewhat of a laid-back homeschooler in the early years and see no need to push. That being said, I have pattern blocks and books, cuisenaire rods and the Alphabet Book, both of which he uses daily at his leisure. He loves legos, especially the LEGO Creator sets, and creates his own designs. I have been trying to muddle through MUS Primer, but he is mostly bored. I’d like to just let him explore math and concepts with manipulatives and reading without a formal curriculum. I may move to something more structured at some point, but for right now I prefer to let him do his own thing. Thoughts on this? Suggestions and resource ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PentecostalMom
  • Like 1

I am not the biggest fan of Saxon grades 1-3, but Saxon K is a great intro to math. It is all manipulative based with no workbooks, and it uses a lot of pattern blocks, teddy bear counters and other manipulatives. It has the children build graphs and work with pennies and dimes. It's gentle, but solid. It is not as advanced as some other K programs. I sometimes use it with mature preschoolers, but it's very good with kindergarteners who don't do a lot of writing yet. You can get a dollar store workbook to help them write their numbers. There is a meeting book that counts calendar patterns, etc.in the program too.

I am a big fan of your approach, since I do think the formal push can make math a much unhappier experience than it needs to be!

I do like incorporating Gattegno's activities and suggestions in our c-rod play:

https://issuu.com/eswi/docs/gattegno-math-textbook-1

(As long as my daughter is having fun doing it.)

Hopefully she'll also come give you some suggestions, but I've found the Let's Play Math site of our fellow WTMer to have so many games, book recommendations, and other resources/links.

I find some of the stuff school math teachers post on the web very, very helpful-- we've incorporated some number sense routines and choral counting in a way my kids (who hate schooly stuff) really enjoy. Adding some form of number talks, estimation games, those kinds of things might be good for augmenting what he's already doing and discovering on his own!

• Like 1