Menu

In that case, I would like to extend an open invitation to one of ds' hockey games. Minor hockey seems to be the mecca for passion, politics, team rivalries and Tim Hortons.

PS - Timbits, coffee and team scarves are dutifully supplied by the social committee!

:iagree: I will attempt to behave myself at my son's minor hockey games this weekend. :lol: The politics I could live without; but I can't help cheering for our team like a lunatic. :blush:

Canucks? Is there still a team over there?

:tongue_smilie:

Gasping in horror... GO CANUCKS!!

I'm reading Who Killed Canadian History? by Granatstein. Anyone else read that? I agree with most of what I've read so far, but am stuck here: He posits that lack of federal oversight, the province's each having their own educational standards, is a big part of the problem. I don't know that having a federal curriculum would make it any livelier than it is, KWIM? I'd love to discuss this book. Must sleep now, though and rise early for child's hockey weekend. Drat. All the interesting topics come up as I am parted from my computer, lol.

I'm reading Who Killed Canadian History? by Granatstein. Anyone else read that? I agree with most of what I've read so far, but am stuck here: He posits that lack of federal oversight, the province's each having their own educational standards, is a big part of the problem. I don't know that having a federal curriculum would make it any livelier than it is, KWIM? I'd love to discuss this book. Must sleep now, though and rise early for child's hockey weekend. Drat. All the interesting topics come up as I am parted from my computer, lol.

Well, a federal oversight might not make it more interesting, but might make it more balanced. I can tell you history in Quebec is completely skewed. All maps stop at the provincial border, so kids have a feeling the St Lawrence river is 100% Quebec. All Natives live in Quebec too, and can't cross borders, because the curriculum never ever mentions Natives in New York State. Also, Louis Riel was a FRANCOPHONE metis who got killed by the bad English conquerors. There's about one page on the trans Canadian railway, and less than a paragraph on the RCMP. But every single Quebec union is mentioned in details.