Menu

Clothes for Cruising Questions

Jenny in Florida

My husband and I went on our first ever cruise a few months ago. It was a three-night Bahamas itinerary on Disney Cruise Lines. (He's a Disney cast member, so we get good deals on the cruises if we can be flexible about dates.) We had a good time and have decided to go for a longer cruise next month.

This trip, because it is longer, includes a "formal night." The info we got from DCL says that "most women" wear dresses or gowns, and "most men" wear jackets and ties.

So, here's the thing: I don't own a dress. Literally. Not one. My wardrobe consists of extremely casual shorts, jeans and t-shirts that I wear around the house or to go grocery shopping OR the office-appropriate pants, blouses and cardigans/wraps I wear to work. My shoe selection is limited to tennis shoes, Teva-like sandals and low wedges.

We're doing the trip on a budget. I hate shopping and am very hard to fit (5'2" and hovering around a size 16 on a good day, with much of my weight carried around my waist). When dressing for work and for occasions, my entire agenda is summed up by not wanting to look ridiculous or embarrass my family or companions. Well, I also refuse to be uncomfortable.

I rooted around my closet and turned up a pair of black linen pants that I bought a year ago and have never worn. I thought they might be too casual, but my my husband says he likes them. 

They are similar to these: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=2&pid=338335012

I also unearthed a black top, very simply cut, made of some slightly glossy material, with a sequined yoke. It's one of those things I bought because it was on sale and, again, have never worn. Since I've lost a little bit of weight in the last year or  so, it actually fits pretty well. The only issue is that it has cap sleeves, and I DO NOT go out in public showing my upper arms.

Again,my husband says he thinks the pants and blouse work well together and look good on me. 

So, I think, with my fanciest pair of earrings and a pair of low heels, I have the base of an acceptable outfit. But I need some kind of wrap or second layer that will cover my upper arms.

What do I want? And where will I find it? 

Also, we're doing this cruise in late October, meaning there is a Halloween party. For many years, I loved the whole costuming thing, but I'm way out of practice. And I'm having trouble thinking of any ideas that accommodate the aforementioned budget/body type/comfort/not wanting to look ridiculous concerns PLUS the fact that I am in my 50s and feel pretty strongly that certain characters or looks are really not appropriate.

And, of course, since I will be with my husband, it would be nice if our costumes coordinated in some way. Oh! And we have to fly to the departure port and will need to fit the formal wear and any costume gear into our luggage alongside our regular clothing for seven nights.

Does anyone have clever ideas for costuming under those circumstances?

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I just want to reassure you about formal night on Disney cruises. We have now done 3 - 7 day cruises (Eastern Caribbean, Southern Caribbean, and Alaska) with them and the range of clothing choices varies greatly. Some people dress to the hilt and use it for formal family photographs. Most do not - we're the middle of the road - I generally wear khakis and a knit shirt for both formal and semi-formal nights. DH and the boys wear dress pants with a button down shirt for formal night and a polo for semi-formal. Everyone wears sneakers as I refuse to pack dress shoes and you can't see under the table anyway. If anything, over the last 3 years, the clothing choices I've seen have been less and less dressy. We haven't been on a cruise during Halloween so I'm no help with that.

Have fun!

I just want to reassure you about formal night on Disney cruises. We have now done 3 - 7 day cruises (Eastern Caribbean, Southern Caribbean, and Alaska) with them and the range of clothing choices varies greatly. Some people dress to the hilt and use it for formal family photographs. Most do not - we're the middle of the road - I generally wear khakis and a knit shirt for both formal and semi-formal nights. DH and the boys wear dress pants with a button down shirt for formal night and a polo for semi-formal. Everyone wears sneakers as I refuse to pack dress shoes and you can't see under the table anyway. If anything, over the last 3 years, the clothing choices I've seen have been less and less dressy. We haven't been on a cruise during Halloween so I'm no help with that.

Have fun!

Thanks. I'm actually not stressed about impressing anyone, but my husband tends to care more about this stuff than I do. As I said, my primary goal in these situations is pretty much not to stick out enough to get noticed. So, since he seems pleased with the general idea of my ensemble, I'll be content once I find some way to cover up my arms.

I want to agree. You will have everything from normal dinner clothes to fancy gowns, and costumes or no costumes. If I were flying, I would probably not bother, unless you're really into it?

I am not especially, except to the extent of not wanting to draw attention to myself, but my husband enjoys this stuff and wants to make an effort.

Fortunately, the pants I plan to wear for formal night can do double duty as part of my pirate night ensemble.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

I'd go to a thrift or consignment store and buy a long black skirt with an elastic waist and wear it with that same top.

Long skirts look formalish in a way that pants never quite do.

For the costume, I totally feel your pain.  

Last year I bought a spiderweb lace ponchoish thing from ThinkGeek and wore it over all black as a Halloweenish costumeish thing, and it worked beautifully.  If I do it this year, I will be sewing on a plastic spider.