Menu

Course description for US history completed without a textbook

lewelma

I need some help writing this course description.  We studied US history using trade books, narrative nonfiction, single-topic nonfiction books (Hitler's Youth, for example), primary sources (speeches), contemporaneous biographies/fiction (Narrative of the life of Fredrick Douglas, Huck Finn), documentaries, travel (Vietnam for example and saw the war sites).  We read about 30 books. We did a lot of discussion, but ds took no tests and wrote no papers. This was done in 9th grade, and I was going to count it as a regular class, not honors. However, I do want the course description to sound half-way good.  How do I write it up?  

Places like Princeton want a textbook list, so I assume that textbooks are important; however, I also know that there is a move away in some localities of studying history through textbooks, so I know that I am not totally crazy for doing a high school course this way.  

Suggestions?

Ruth in NZ

US history (1 cr)

This course examines the evolution of the United States from its colonial origins to the present. The student read several biographies and non-fiction books and studied important primary source documents. Main texts studied:.... (list a few).

The student took several field trips to historically important sites.

Evaluation: discussion

• Like 1

We did something similar in 9th grade when my daughter studied world history from 1700 to 2000.  Here's the course description I wrote ~

World History from 1700 to 2000
This reading-based course covers world-changing events of the 18th through 20th centuries which have shaped our culture today; it complements the associated Literature course (listed above) by giving the student a context for the literature studied. The course also includes musical recordings, documentaries, and videos of or about the time. Map work and short writing assignments are required. (Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

You'll note that I did not include textbook names or novel titles in my course descriptions. I included separate reading and textbook lists with that information.

The 'listed above' course that was mentioned had this course description ~

World Literature from 1700 to 2000

A study of 18th through 20th century short stories and novels with the intent of familiarizing the student with selected literary works of enduring quality.  This interdisciplinary course (see the associated History course below) allows the student to explore this time period by reading its literature while also studying its historical context.  (Class taken at home in 9th grade.)  Awarded 0.50 credits.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2