Menu

Oak Meadow Questions

hands-on-mama

We are using Oak Meadow 5th grade and most of Oak Meadow 7th grade this year.  We are using older versions (from 2013 and 2007) and I think they have recently revamped the curriculum, so our experience may be a bit different.  

Each week's work is laid out in a separate lesson.  36 weeks in a school = 36 lessons.  The older versions do not tell you how to break this out into daily work (I think the new version *may* do that, I'm not sure).  I give my 7th grader her work and she works on it throughout the week, with the understanding that she needs to complete the lesson by the end of the week.  I do review her lessons ahead of time to make sure that she gives appropriate time to larger projects.  I work through the lessons with my 5th grader, spacing the work out somewhat evenly throughout the week.

I have heard that the early grades are very gentle, but the work does ramp up as it progresses through the grades.  5th grade history and literature has a lot of writing and reading.

Our experience has been it is very beautiful to look at but needs a LOT added to it to make it full. For the price, I expected a great deal more. My one older son finished the entire year's worth of OM 5 (older version) in 30 days and that was doing every assignment choice for each subject. Back it went.

It is a nice idea but you could put it together yourself.

Our experience has been it is very beautiful to look at but needs a LOT added to it to make it full. For the price, I expected a great deal more. My one older son finished the entire year's worth of OM 5 (older version) in 30 days and that was doing every assignment choice for each subject. Back it went.

It is a nice idea but you could put it together yourself.

This is exactly why I asked. I just don't get how it is a full curriculum.