Menu

Animal magazine for a very early reader?

I thought i was getting her Zoobooks. But i tricked her into picking up the horse issue at the library yesterday, and she wasn't interested.

UGH.

I need something to grab her attention and make her want to work at reading - and yet have some stuff she can do for herself already.

Or is there anything else that you can think of for a 9yo that is more on an early first grade level? (except her comprehension - she can handle any older material if she sees it or if it is read to her). I just don't want to get something that is going to make her think - this is a baby book you know?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Tracey

OK - what about, "your Big Backyard"? The "is your child ready for YBB" list on the website has my 4 year ready for it. But i think it might work - and it says i can move her up to Ranger Rick during the year. But she can't do much of the "is your child ready to move up to RR" either.

Any input on this one?!?!

But then i just looked at the RR sample.... and well, maybe that would work. If that is all in one month she'd love the variety.

Edited by TraceyS/FL

OK - what about, "your Big Backyard"? The "is your child ready for YBB" list on the website has my 4 year ready for it. But i think it might work - and it says i can move her up to Ranger Rick during the year. But she can't do much of the "is your child ready to move up to RR" either.

Any input on this one?!?!

But then i just looked at the RR sample.... and well, maybe that would work. If that is all in one month she'd love the variety.

My boys like YBB. What exactly would you like to know about it?

My boys like YBB. What exactly would you like to know about it?

Would/does your 9yo feel like it's too young for him?

I will second MBBY. My dc loved it, it kept their interest even past the recommended age, and they did not like Ranger Rick. I think MBBY had enouogh to keep their interest, they learned stuff, but it was more "fun" than RR.

HTH

It does help.

I wonder if my small library has it - i'll have to check and sneak down there to see it. OK, mine doesn't (no RR either), but the town to my south does. I'll go by their library when DH is home early one day.

I just don't want to muck this up since it's a Christmas present! LOL!!