Menu

Shurley English Level 2

AggieMama

I just picks up a copy of the TM and Student Workbook for Shurley English Level 2 for $12.25. I am excited because it is a program I have looked at for a while and wanted to try. Last year DD struggled with writing at school to the point of refusal. She is doing better this year, possibly because of the teacher. I am wanting to make sure that she has a strong foundation in writing and grammar. She seemed I interested in the idea of the jingles. If anyone has used this program I would like to hear the pros and the cons of it.

I am a fan of Shurley. Pros: My oldest son really knows the parts of speech (and my youngest, who hasn't even started Shurley yet, knows all the jingles from listening to his brother). Cons: The TM has a weird layout. It definitely takes a few weeks to get used to it.

I wanted to add that we do not complete all of the writing assignments. They can be a bit boring and long. I also stretch the writing assignments out over a couple of days.

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

I think the grammar of it is better than the writing. The writing is mostly five point paragraph models.

The grammar is excellent for parsing out sentences, learning the definitions. We ended up switching later on in the program because my son could name everything, but he didn't have a lot of retention in understanding the relationships of the parts of the sentence. We had already planned to use MCT in upper grades so we just went ahead and switched. It's a good foundation for memory though.

If you wanted to supplement more for understanding, look at something called The Sentence Family. Easy, inexpensive supplement for more depth in understanding.

Also, Shurley does not diagram if that is something important to you.

The TM for homeschoolers has a lot of flipping back and forth and has a bit of a learning curve, but stick with it and you'll catch on in no time. Also, I'd your child really grasps it well, you can alternate and do every other book for some cost savings and faster coverage of the material.

• Like 1

I think the grammar of it is better than the writing. The writing is mostly five point paragraph models.

The grammar is excellent for parsing out sentences, learning the definitions. We ended up switching later on in the program because my son could name everything, but he didn't have a lot of retention in understanding the relationships of the parts of the sentence. We had already planned to use MCT in upper grades so we just went ahead and switched. It's a good foundation for memory though.

If you wanted to supplement more for understanding, look at something called The Sentence Family. Easy, inexpensive supplement for more depth in understanding.

Also, Shurley does not diagram if that is something important to you.

The TM for homeschoolers has a lot of flipping back and forth and has a bit of a learning curve, but stick with it and you'll catch on in no time. Also, I'd your child really grasps it well, you can alternate and do every other book for some cost savings and faster coverage of the material.

This covers everything I've experienced and have heard about Shurley.