Menu

Anyone use BJU GR 3 Reading?

txchick

I purchased it 2 days ago. tm, worktext and 2 readers. Im looking for advice on how to proceed. How much do you do daily? I looked at the english and spelling however didn't purchase. Do I need the tm for english? it looks pretty self sufficient in the worktext. We have LLATL yellow(gr 3) level now and its OK but my son doesn't seem to like it much...he hates the copywork.

Are bju subjects coordinated like Abeka's are? I dont see any mention of spelling or grammar in the Reading tm.

I purchased this because we need a concentrated reading program with phonics practice.

Im considering just doing concentrated reading this year...and skip english altogether...and just do writing?

not sure...wondering what others find effective. btw my son is 10...should be in gr 4 but gr 3 level seems correct for him.

Donna

There is no spelling or grammar in the Reading program, though it does have a phonics review. The TM lists each lesson and how many pages from the text and workbook go with it. We just do a lesson a day. I have never felt we were missing anything by not using their English program, also. We use R&S happily, so I never considered switching.

BJU is an excellent program for Reading, BTW!!

I use BJU Reading up till 3rd grade and then switch to just books. My ds (8) needs extra reading practice this year so he does the following:

BJU Reading - 1 lesson per day including workbook. He really likes the stories.

Sonlight Readers 2 - Intermediate - I wanted him to enjoy some full books.

McCall- Crabbs Reading tests - 3x per week - this tells me his reading comprehension. You get an idea of your child's comprehension by asking the questions from the BJU reading TM.

Rod and Staff English 3 - We do a lot of this orally but I do have him do the worksheets

SWR for spelling and phonics. I do skip some of the BJU phonics included in the reading lessons if they don't mesh with what he has learned with SWR.

He is also reading a page or so a day from The Little Kids Adventure Bible.

Writing With Ease - Level 2

I know this seems like a lot but I have seen good results. He just informed me last night he has been reading BoxCar Children at bedtime. This guy would normally never pick up a book on his own and read it.

When we do subjects, like English, I have him take turns with me reading the lesson. This helps me gauge how accurately he is reading. I don't think he is completely ready yet to read to learn on his own.

We are using it for the first time this year and I LOVE it - the diversity of stories and focus on different types of literature. I also appreciate the comprehension questions in the TM and the phonics review in the worktext. We do a lesson a day following the lesson plans in the TM and it takes about 30-45 minutes a day.

We use their English program, too. It works well for my 3rd grader because it switches back and forth between grammar and writing (10 lessons of each) so it is less time consuming than trying to teach both each day. I use the TM because it includes the answers to the worktext and has rubics for reviewing the writing assignments. I love their writing program because they spread the writing assigment out over 5 days, (planning, drafting, revising, proofreading and publishing) so the focus in on quality.

HTH