Menu

Elemental Science Logic Stage with Younger Kids

rainbowmama

Last year, I did science with my first grader and fourth grader together. I'm looking at Elemental Science Earth Science this year. It's the first year we'd be doing a logic level course. How easy would it be to have both do it together, simplifying for my second grader? He's not especially gifted at writing or science, but I always struggle with getting science done.

I have heard good things about Elemental Logic but we tried doing Elemental Grammar Biology after we finished our RS4K Geology and it was mind numbing. My kids, who love science were bored out of their skulls. It went something like; read a book from the library, do a page of notebooking, do a craft, and once a week do an experiment that probably won't work and repeat agnosium. The information wasn't very deep or meaty. It was just plain awful for us. We jumped ship and did RSO biology instead.

I tell you this because my hunch is that logic stage is where the interesting stuff probably is. If there is copious notebooking you could always cut some back for your younger student. Also, it could have just been biology. I am not sure if the logic stage has as any crafts but oh my goodness, that killed me.

I own Elemental Science Biology Logic stage but we didn't end up using it. However, in the back there is a page with recommendations for including younger kids. Following the same sequence, just using different resources. I don't know if the other logic stage programs have this but you could always contact Elemental Science and ask. Hope that helps!

I have heard good things about Elemental Logic but we tried doing Elemental Grammar Biology after we finished our RS4K Geology and it was mind numbing. My kids, who love science were bored out of their skulls. It went something like; read a book from the library, do a page of notebooking, do a craft, and once a week do an experiment that probably won't work and repeat agnosium. The information wasn't very deep or meaty. It was just plain awful for us. We jumped ship and did RSO biology instead.

I tell you this because my hunch is that logic stage is where the interesting stuff probably is. If there is copious notebooking you could always cut some back for your younger student. Also, it could have just been biology. I am not sure if the logic stage has as any crafts but oh my goodness, that killed me.

I keep eyeing RSO astronomy: if it was a full earth science, we'd probably do that

Based on my experience with ES Biology for the Logic Stage, I would guess that it would be adaptable for your younger one. You can skip some things, scribe some things, require a different amount/quality of written output for some things, etc. 

The sample for the logic Earth/Space course (find it linked from here) has some info on page 13 about including younger students. I'd definitely suggest looking at the spines (Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and Usborne Science Encyclopedia) to see if they'll be understandable and not overwhelming for your son, but if you don't think they'll work, then that sample from the link above has some alternatives.