Menu

I realized the best feature about the rental house I recently rented...

Ginevra

We stayed in a place with slate tile floors once, and I was surprised at how impractical I found it.  It got EXTREMELY slippery when wet, and also I couldn't go barefoot on it comfortably because it was very hard underfoot and also the texture was...not sharp of course, but kind of sharp-feeling to my feet--very uncomfortable.  I love the looks of it, but I wouldn't want it in an entry way or bathroom or kitchen that might get a little damp at times, or anywhere I wanted to go barefoot.  Maybe it's better now.

DH refuses real stone tile on floors anywhere.  The company he works for has a gorgeous international location he's had to go to a few times.  Sparkling marble floors that have been the source of many lawsuits because they are SO slippery when wet people get hurt.  Seriously hurt.  1-2 broken bones on an annual basis, one severe concussion while he was there.  He might make an exception for pebble tile shower floors, but nothing slippery.

The luxury vinyl looks like slate - it really does, I think there may be more than 20 patterns in a box of tiles, so you don't notice repeats, especially if you rotate the tiles. It's not slippery, even after steam mopping.  It's firm but not hard on bare feet.  It's not cold.  I love it. I'd do the whole house in it if we were in a part of the country that would fly.  We're not.  I wish I could find a wood vinyl tile I liked as much.

• Like 1

I feel this way about a lot of trends, too. There have been certain things I stubbornly refused to buy only because it annoys me that it's such a hot trend. Currently it's those "cold shoulder" tops. 99% of the reason I don't like them is because I see them so constantly. I went to a party and probably 65% of the women there had a top or dress with the shoulders missing. I think that trend will quickly burn out and, three years from now, people will look at the pictures from the party and will only notice pieces of shoulder everywhere. ☺ï¸

That was in style in the 80's but was out of style in less than a year.

• Like 1