Menu

Maryland reviews- what do you do to prepare?

This is my first year of homeschool and as I'm gearing up to start I'm wondering how other parents organize their child's work for homeschool reviews? We wont' be working under an umbrella. Someone told me they keep a dated log of everything their child does each day and brings a binder of work to support it. Is that what most people do? It sounds like a lot but I'd rather start with good habits then play catch up later. 

Thank you!

Have you ever seen this blog?  We're not unschoolers, but she has a great blog showing how she keeps school records with Evernote.  If I remember correctly, she has to go through some kind of homeschool review, also, and shows them the digital copy of her records (she talks about it somewhere on the blog).  If you click around, she has multiple posts about her record keeping on Evernote.

https://www.storiesofanunschoolingfamily.com/creating-evernote-unschooling-notebooks/ 

Edited by Evanthe

I keep a lot of my stuff for review in OneNote...soon to be switching to Evernote. I have heard some counties are easier than others on reviews. I have 3 kids and a lot of stuff is done together. I bring a cheat sheet that has the info the reviewer needs for her form. She types, we chat, I show a few (maybe 3 or 4) examples for each required subject. We glance through pictures for the stuff I document that way. For the next 2 it is copy/paste with me pointing out differences.

I usually pull examples a few days before for papers and sort them into a pocket folders for each kid.

I make a tabbed binder with two samples of written work from each subject in COMAR. If it's P.E. I just write a paragraph about what sports or excercise the kids have done.

My county has a good reputation of not over-stepping their bounds. I have practiced, in my head, asking, "Oh, I didn't see that requirement in the law, can you show me?" if they start asking for more. The law is so vague as to be practically useless, but I show that I'm teaching the required subjects and that the kids are making progress as defined by me.

Edited by EmseB