Menu

Does anyone do this?

GWOB

Supplement SOTW with American history? We are just beginning our homeschooling journey and I'm quite paranoid I will not cover enough. My kids are coming out of ps in 3 weeks (or less if I get really annoyed). Until now my dd (3rd) has been mostly exposed to American history. DS is in K and hasn't done much. We will be starting with SOTW vol.1. I really like the idea of studying history chronologically, but just can't shake the feeling that we should be doing American history as well. Frankly I'm appalled at the lack of knowledge most Americans have concerning our history (and history in general) and just want to avoid that in my kids if at all possible.

So, does anyone supplement? If so, what do you use? If I decide to go this route, I'd like something light and fun, but accurate. Christian is definitely ok. TIA!

Wendi

We are half way through SOTW 3 and stop and do little "unit studies" when we get to something important in American History. For example, we read about Squanto and the first Thanksgiving. After Christmas break we will spend a few weeks on the Rev War and do lots of extra reading and projects.

There is so much on American History out there it should work out fine to use SOTW and cover plenty of Amer. Hist.

We're planning the same things. We did SOTW vol. 1 and 2 as written and I just added in some little projects for the important american history things that came up during the year, ie: presidents day, columbus day, MLK day, july 4th etc. Most of those things came from Evan Moor's theme pockets. We didn't do the whole pocket most times, but just a few things.

We're going through SOTW now via History Odyssey, but I've decided that when we get to the American history parts we're going to put HO aside and use the Time Travelers CD or Hands of a child lapbooks along with many other books. I may also bump much of the other units in HO up so we cover those first then start in on Amer. history and follow it all the way through. Either way we'll delve much deeper into American history once we reach it.

Oh by the way my kids are 4th and 1st graders with a 3.5 year old hanging out as well.