Menu

Input on this shelving idea?

Kjirstyn

Our Costco is carrying those 8-cubicle (2x4) bookshelves again, and I'm debating getting a few. We have some and like them for books, but not really for the main part if the house. We are going to be moving in the near future and I hate to buy really nice bookshelves that can go in the main areas until we know better what we'll be working with for our [hopefully forever] house.

So. We are in need of shelving, as the book collection around here is prohibitive, but the boys are also merging into some minor schooling, which will add more to the shelving needs list. As veteran homeschoolers, can anyone weigh in: will cubicle type shelving pretty much always be a decent solution for the homeschool room? They seem like they would be, to me, because they automatically lend themselves to organization by topic or category. But maybe I'm not thinking of some obvious drawbacks.

I am using the old IKEA expedit 2x2 cubical shelves. Each cubbyhole holds one subject. A subject may take more than one cubbyhole. It is helpful to give coordinates to my kids and husband who are really bad at finding anything in the house. I can just tell them the math cubbyholes are at the 3rd column from the left while the English cubbyhole is at 1st column 1st row.

• Like 1

I use the expedit units also and found it a welcome change from traditional bookshelves for my homeschool supplies. There are a few books larger than the 12" cube but otherwise it has worked great, especially with being able to configure a couple of the cubes into drawers. I feel like things are not falling over as much and it is easier to organize by subjects. I am getting a bit tired of the modern look of it but for sheer practicality I have kept using them.