Menu

Vocabulary for Middle School

pocjets

As I just wrote in response to another vocab question:

I have never used any vocabulary program with my kids. Both built an impressive vocabulary from reading a wide variety of quality literature of different genres and periods.

I am not convinced that vocab programs are in any way superior to reading. The adults I know who have the widest vocabulary all come by it through extensive reading.

Listening to audiobooks above the child's reading level is also a great way to increase vocabulary.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

We used Wordly Wise last year (5th grade) and are going to give Word Roots a go this year (6th grade).  While I do agree that reading is the best way to pick up new vocabulary words, I like adding in a little extra something for a wider exposure.  And with Word Roots, I'm hoping to give them tools to break down words on their own, but understanding the parts.  

• Like 1

We found separate vocab study to be redundant with reading high quality literature and especially when studying a romance language (Latin and Spanish for us). We just shelved spelling for good when it was obvious they didn't need it anymore.

If you want to dabble in root based vocab, English From the Roots Up was our gateway drug to Latin. LOL - You just want the book or the cards, not both. It took 15 minutes or so once a week and 5 minutes the rest of the week, but it really opened their eyes to word parts. And we did study Latin the year after that.

• Like 1