Menu

Word Problems--MIF or CWP?

ExcitedMama

DS is using MIF but until I read the other thread about MIF I'd never considered adding in MIF Enrichment. Has anyone looked at or used both? Any opinions on either? This summer DS started the FAN 1 and it's been way too easy but I thought I'd have him start with the book that breaks it down into easier steps and then start CWP 1. I need to order word problems for 2nd grade so now I'm wondering if I should do CWP or MIF Enrichment. Thanks!

I have CWP and MIF Enrichment.

CWP is good if you want lots and lots (and lots and lots) of word problems that are actually not all challenging-- I think the "challenging" is a bit of a misnomer, as perhaps it should just be called "Endless Word Problems!" And I think it's suitable for any student who needs word problem practice and you could probably pick and choose the ones you think your child is ready for.

MIF Enrichment has some word problems, but the bulk of it isn't word problems. I use it as a substitute for the workbook for my child using MIF, not as an extra item-- it's good, I think, for students who pick up concepts easily and find tons of practice and repetition boring...but it contains some of the "Write out all the steps you use to solve 18+13" exercises that can be discouraging for a student who enjoys the fact that math need not contain lots of written introspection, as well as the "Here is a relatively simple problem, now solve it the 3 different ways we prescribe" that actually can be annoying for quick learners but discouraging for struggling learners who need more practice with 1 method at a time. There are relatively few problems in the Enrichment book. Some of them are interesting and fun for a student who likes logic puzzles.

• Like 1

Well, we found the CWP extremely challenging. Even the FAN Math ones are challenging. But perhaps not so much at the first grade level - the first and second grade books weren't so challenging, IIRC. Those two have about the same number of problems. I didn't think they were particularly endless either. It's a good number of word problems. The CWP doesn't have much instruction - less than the FAN Math ones. If judging from the MiF text and workbook is any indication, I'd say the MiF problems are going to be slightly easier than either one. If he finds them really easy, I think that's great, but I'd personally lean toward just accelerating his math overall rather than searching for more ways to stay at this level and do more problems.

You might also look at Primary Challenge Math. Those are also on the easy end (I mean, it is early elementary math - everything meant for this level will be at least a little easy), but it introduces a lot of topics that aren't in MiF, IIRC. And they're just written differently.

• Like 1