Menu

Something like Daily Grams

My dd doesn't really like the Daily Grams curriculum.  I would like her to review grammar concepts this year and do some proofreading.  Anything similar to DG that has a short review page that can be done independently and take a very short amount of time??

My dd doesn't really like the Daily Grams curriculum.  I would like her to review grammar concepts this year and do some proofreading.  Anything similar to DG that has a short review page that can be done independently and take a very short amount of time??

Jan Bell Kiester has several levels of a paragraph "bite a day" grammar review and proof-editing -- we used the middle and high school levels. Each paragraph took us about 10-12 minutes. About half independent and half needed me -- I went over the grammar concept review with DSs, and we did the proof-editing aloud together, so they were self-checking as we went over it.

(It's really difficult to get a good sense of what the program is like from the sample pages in the links below -- the samples are mostly explanation of the program and then explanation of the grammar concepts. Try clicking the "surprise me" option a time or two, and it pulls up a page with the paragraph on the right and the teacher key with the errors and grammar concepts on the left.)

- The Chortling Bard (high school)

- Giggles in the Middle (middle school)

- Grammar With a Giggle (elementary grade programs)

Not entirely independent is Fix It Grammar, with 6 levels:

book 1, The Nose Tree -- gr. 3-4

book 2, Robin Hood -- gr. 4-5

book 3, The Frog Prince -- gr. 5-6

book 4, The Little Mermaid -- gr. 7-8

book 5, Chanticleer -- gr. 9-12

book 6, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight -- gr. 9-12

G.U.M. Drops -- (grammar, usage, mechanics practice) is completely independent, but only goes up through grade 8. You might see if grade 7 and grade 8  would work for you.

Proof-editing practice:

- Editor in Chief (C-1 and C-2 are the high school levels)

- Find the Errors (gr. 9-12) 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

FWIW, we've done several years of Easy Grammar the Ultimate Series, & are so ready to move onto something else as well. We're planning to use Fix It Grammar to firm up the actual use of all that grammar we've learned.

Also, there is Analytical Grammar's Reinforcement books for the high school level. It's one page a week of parsing & diagramming using excerpts from real books.