Menu

Woodworking or "shop class"?

Do any of your kids do this? Mine are 8 and 10 and have the summer "bored" syndrome. (They look forward to summer for so long then complain the whole time :001_rolleyes: ) Last year we schooled year round but it's impossible this year because we're moving and I just can't hack it.

Anyway, I'm thinking about heading to ReStore and getting them a box of things to tinker with. I'd love some input from those who have tried an informal workshop. What has or hasn't worked for you? Any materials you recommend? Any websites with building plans? 

• Like 1

When my dad's big brother introduced him to woodworking, he started simply.

He bought a board, sandpaper, a hammer, nails, a saw, and sandpaper.

They cut the board into the parts for a simple toolbox without a lid but with a carrying handle, and then sanded and put them together.  It was oiled or something, not painted or stained AFAIK.  

Then he gave my dad the tools as his 'start'.  My dad is 90 and he still has that sturdy, sensible toolbox.  It was an excellent first project.

Here is something similar for a very young kid--I would not bother to make one that is this small though--it's impractical.  It's just to give you an idea of what it might look like.  If I were doing it, it would have a bigger base.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Houseworks-Tool-Box-Kit-94501/100658845?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D21-Lumber%7c&gclid=CNGfmtS-99QCFcq2wAodp0wPug&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

J had a miniature woodworking kit that I built for him. Scrap lumber, 4oz hammer, short, stumpy screwdrivers, tack nails, small woodscrews, and a drywall saw. He was very young, any generally didn't build things. Just worked with the tools.

We like a little building kits from home depot and Lowe's. They have workshops on Saturday mornings.

We also like the maker's space at the library. We did a pinewood derby that was fun.

• Like 1

My teens are doing woodworking at home this year for a high school credit.  We know absolutely nothing about woodworking, so it's been a learning curve.  After two months, they both still have all their fingers...although dd15 did try to show up in the garage for woodworking without shoes on yesterday...  Seriously??  Common sense, please?    :glare:

We are following CLE's Beginning Woodworking course.  I bought the textbook and student book + answer key.  In hindsight, I probably could've just bought the textbook.  It looks like they are now using a textbook called "Exploring Woodworking".  Anyway, our text is really basic and covers stuff like types of wood, nails, screws, how to make different types of joints, how to design projects, etc.

Mine are to the point where they are going to design a project of their own (we're done with the fundamentals).  If they want to follow a project that's already designed, we like this website:  http://www.ana-white.com

I think she has a Youtube channel, too. 

Anyway, my kids are really enjoying woodworking.

• Like 1