Menu

Dr Hive - Supplement/Vitamin Gurus?

EmseB

I started taking a multi-vitamin a couple months ago, just regular Nature's Bounty or something from CVS. It improved my energy level, at least to the point where I wasn't needing an afternoon nap every day.

So I researched and decided to up my vitamin game and bought these from Emerald Labs. Cheap-o generic vitamins were good, so these would be better, right?

The second day I took one, I woke up the next day feeling dizzy and slightly nauseous, so I stopped using them for a couple days and started feeling normal again. Since they were rather expensive I decided to try them again in case the dizziness was an unrelated freak occurrence.  Again, yesterday, took the second capsule and last night I woke up fighting nausea and feel fuzzy and gross today.  So I'm pretty sure it's the vitamins.

Of course I'm not going to take any more, but does anyone know what in the ingredients could be causing this reaction? I don't have any food allergies. Should I contact the company? I feel like my personal body chemistry is not their fault so I'm not looking for a refund, but perhaps reporting a reaction to their product would help them in some way?

Do you have a mthf mutation? Being supplemented with too high a dose of mthf - and their's is small - can cause a reaction

Or an untreated thyroid or adrenal?

Eta; mthf detoxes, but usually takes longer to show a reaction. Adrenal can show quickly. And would need to be treated separately.

I love emerald labs, but last year they had some quality control issues that caused me to drop it from my amazon s&s. Now it's resolved, and I'm sorry I dropped it.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Do you have a mthf mutation? Being supplemented with too high a dose of mthf - and their's is small - can cause a reaction

Or an untreated thyroid or adrenal?

Eta; mthf detoxes, but usually takes longer to show a reaction. Adrenal can show quickly. And would need to be treated separately.

I love emerald labs, but last year they had some quality control issues that caused me to drop it from my amazon s&s. Now it's resolved, and I'm sorry I dropped it.

I don't know and I don't know to your questions. I honestly didn't realize a one-a-day multi-vitamin would be a possible problem, which I guess is what I'm trying to figure out. I've taken a variety of prenatals and a couple different kinds of multi-vitamins over the years.  I've never had one make me feel actively ill, though, and nothing from the ingredients list on this one is something I can identify as being particularly out of the ordinary. I just checked the reviews on Amazon and they seem almost universally good, and no one complaining of my issue.  :/

BUT it looks like from this, if the methylfolate is causing the reaction, and I was doing fine on regular folic acid then I should just switch back to a multi-vitamin without the methylated version.

• Like 1

I don't know and I don't know to your questions. I honestly didn't realize a one-a-day multi-vitamin would be a possible problem, which I guess is what I'm trying to figure out. I've taken a variety of prenatals and a couple different kinds of multi-vitamins over the years.  I've never had one make me feel actively ill, though, and nothing from the ingredients list on this one is something I can identify as being particularly out of the ordinary. I just checked the reviews on Amazon and they seem almost universally good, and no one complaining of my issue.  :/

BUT it looks like from this, if the methylfolate is causing the reaction, and I was doing fine on regular folic acid then I should just switch back to a multi-vitamin without the methylated version.

it is estimated 50% of the population has at least one mutated mthf gene (comes in pairs).  16% is homozygous (both genes are mutated).  can be two of 677, or two of 1298 - or one of each, or even two of one, and one of the other.  each reduces the ability to use folate - which leads to a host of problems.  actual folate will help to get mehtylation cycle working - but it must be done slowly because it is detoxing.  you could have other related issues as well - all contributing to why you are not tolerating it.

most vitamins do NOT contain mthf - which is a natural form of folate.  if you have the genetic mutation, and mthf is what is making you react - absolutely do NOT take folic acid!!!!! (it's fine for those with no mutated gene)  that  may not make you "feel bad" - but it is exacerbating development of other problems which are more serious and only very recently been linked to the mutation.  if you have the mutation - your body cannot use folic acid!  folic acid is 100% synthetic - you will not find it naturally occurring in any food. what it will to is clog up your folate receptors so actual folate isn't able to be absorbed and used - but if you have the mutation - your body can't use the molecular synthetic folic acid without converting it to something else, and the mutation reduces the ability to convert it to a use able form. anywhere from 50% - 90% reduction.