Menu

"A Mind in the Light" curriculum reviews

bwdiaz

I have just discovered this and I have to say I'm in love. I've been adapting other CM curricula for various reasons but this one seems to apply CM principles in a faithful way while choosing really awesome books. It has the rigor of more well-known programs without using archaic works. It uses a lot of my personal favorites for history, as well as things we already own, but a whole bunch of neat geography choices. It has real lit based science that isn't so out of date.

What I really love the look of is the lit though. It's quality and more modern without being trendy. It includes the Russians. It has a lot of Tolkien. The year 12 special studies look amazing. There is a lot of Ancients and mythology.

But what are the problems with it? Coming from AO, Mater Amabilis, Build Your Library, and book choices of my own ... most of this looks normal to me. I'd be using years 1 and 3 for my kids. And I am having trouble finding reviews by people who used it.

Feedback? Thoughts? Considerations?

Edited by bwdiaz
  • Like 1

I keep peeking at it, too, mostly for the guides that have the prepping narration already done for me:  But this will be my first year to need something she has finished.  I am waiting for the next LuLu sale to hit before I buy the guide for CHOWorld.  I am slobbering over the Dorothy Mills books but...just don't have a child old enough yet! lol

Kfamily posts here; that is actually how I was first led to her site.  She shared a huge resource she had put together on different narration topics. I think it may still be up at her site.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your kind words! They mean so much to me! :)

bwdiaz, I do still have the narration guide to which Whippoorwill refers at my website. Just scroll to Resources and then down to Skill Subjects and Foreign Languages and the guide can be found here. :) Let me know if I can help in any other way.

• Like 2

I used it this past year and LOVED it!  If we were not switching to the Alveary we would be doing this next year too, unfortunately she doesn't have the levels all ready for the ages of my kids next year or I would have hung on.  But what she has done is great!  I need some time focusing more on implementing our curriculum not coming up with it this year since I am focusing on my oldest with scholarships, colleges, etc.  :-P

If you have any specific questions let me know but I found it very helpful and we enjoyed it.  FYI we used:  1st grade Literary Worlds and the Book of the Romans (for my 8th grader last year)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wanted to share that I've offering a chance for a free PDF literature guide. If you join the forum at the website and guess the correct color from a classic set of 8 crayons, then you can win your choice from 3 literature guides. Go to the tab "Forum" at the website, join the forum, look under "Methods and Principles" for the "Free Literature Guide" post and post your color guess. I'll announce the winner tonight. Everyone who guesses the correct color will win a guide. You can choose from a list of 3 literature guides. I'll email it to you as a PDF.  (I'll have my daughter draw the crayon from a box of 8 without looking at them. Whichever color she draws will be the winning color.) 

A little fun with no strings attached. :)

ETA:

The winning crayon color was purple! Two members of the forum will be able to pick their choice from 3 literature guides and I'll send them a PDF of it. Thank you! 

Edited by Kfamily