Menu

Matching IEW TWSS "New" Book with "Old" DVD's?

CAtoVA

For those who know, did the DVD's for TWSS also get updated along with the workbook in 2015? Would it matter much to match the older TWSS DVD's with the newer TWSS workbook?

I have been given a copy of the newer TWSS practicum workbook c. 2015 but it did not include the DVD's. Those of you who know, how much difference would it make to use the "older" DVD's with the "newer" workbook? I ask because it is becoming impossible to find just the DVD's for the C. 2015 version of TWSS without have to spend over $100.00. I can, however, find either the entire older set of TWSS, or even just the DVD's, for far less $$.

Looking for an expert opinion from The Hive. OR if anybody is willing to part with the newer IEW TWSS DVDs for a good price I am also interested.

Thanks! : )

The DVDs were updated and there are quite a few more.  A lot was revamped/updated even though the core is very similar in approach.  You might be able to match them up but I am betting it will take quite a bit of effort and some things on the DVD will not be in your older materials.   There IS somewhere on the site that shows exactly what was updated/changed, so that might help you figure out if you could make it work. 

It looks to me, though, like they allow you to purchase just the seminar and practicum workbook for $35, not $100.

http://iew.com/shop/products/teaching-writing-structure-and-style-second-edition-seminar-and-practicum-workbook

Thanks for the response.

I already have the newer seminar workbook (given to me) I just would need the newer DVDs to go with it which, apparently, I cannot buy separately from IEW without buying another workbook (that I don't need). And that set is almost $200.00 I believe. You can buy the workbook separately from IEW but not the DVDs in other words.

So when I try to find the newer DVDs separately (like on Ebay) people are selling the workbook with it too and the bids all seem to end up being over $100.00.  I have already spent so much on new curricula I just don't want to have to do that. Now, if I want the older version of the workbook, DVDs, or both together, I can get those things for MUCH, much less. So, it would be GREAT if the older DVDs could match with the newer workbook........... < sigh>

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher

I have the old book that I use with the newer DVDs. There are some differences, but the old book mostly lines up with the new DVDs. There is a section in the new that is missing from the old, but it lines up okay.

I've watched the old DVDs and the new ones. The updates made in the new ones are great, but the concepts and the source materials are the same with the possible exception of one or two source materials toward the end.

I'm assuming if I can use the old book okay with the new DVDs, you should be able to use the new book with the old DVDs.

• Like 3

Yoda Girl, I guess my question for you would be how did you get the newer DVDs on their own??? : ) I can't seem to find the new DVDs alone at. all. That's why it costs so much because people are selling the new DVDs ONLY as a set with the new book, urrgggghhhhh, and they get over $100.00 for the two parts, naturally.

Thank you also very much for the input on what is in the newer DVDs—I have been wondering if they were updated entirely or not and what is actually in them, what they look like, etc. I have seen only the older DVDs which seemed pretty thorough to me and hard to improve upon. It always seemed to me that it was the older book that needed updating (mostly for formatting and clarity issues) not the DVDs.

For cost reasons I just may have to match the new book with the old DVDs unless I can find the ONE person willing to part with the new DVDs for a price less than $100.00. Is that person even out there???? <grin>

• Like 1

Yoda Girl, I guess my question for you would be how did you get the newer DVDs on their own??? : ) I can't seem to find the new DVDs alone at. all. That's why it costs so much because people are selling the new DVDs ONLY as a set with the new book, urrgggghhhhh, and they get over $100.00 for the two parts, naturally.

Thank you also very much for the input on what is in the newer DVDs—I have been wondering if they were updated entirely or not and what is actually in them, what they look like, etc. I have seen only the older DVDs which seemed pretty thorough to me and hard to improve upon. It always seemed to me that it was the older book that needed updating (mostly for formatting and clarity issues) not the DVDs.

For cost reasons I just may have to match the new book with the old DVDs unless I can find the ONE person willing to part with the new DVDs for a price less than $100.00. Is that person even out there???? <grin>

Lol I got really lucky a few years back, and I scored the old book & old DVDs second-hand. The next year, they updated. Since I didn't purchase mine through IEW,I couldn't update them. (Sidenote - I can't remember if you said where you purchased yours, but if you bought them through IEW, that might be an option.)

Anyway, so there I was with the old book & DVDs. When my oldest moved up to Essentials in Classical Conversations, We had to watch the videos as a group. By that time, the DVDs were the new ones. I couldn't see spending the extra for the new book, so I made the old one work. :)

Sparkly Unicorn, now you're cracking me up!!!

I'm beginning to understand why there are so many "extra" free floating books around.....CC parents buy individual books or student notebooks (SWI B, etc.)  but watch the videos together (?) That's probably also why IEW only sells the books separately but not the DVDs—to meet CC's needs.