Menu

Advice, please!

Ds is a smart kid. I'm not just saying that because he's my kid. He did classes through UT Austin HS this past year. Two classes that he was getting Bs in, he ended up failing because of the exams. Admittedly, there was a mad rush to complete the classes before the deadline. However I think he has test anxiety because this has happened before. We are in the process of changing his classes so they are traditional homeschool classes versus all online. Still, what do I do about these core classes- Algebra and English, that he completely failed because of the final exam?

Still, what do I do about these core classes- Algebra and English, that he completely failed because of the final exam?

Since he is homeschooled, you are the author of his high-school transcript. If he is not yet in ninth grade, then there should be no problem, since colleges do not want to know about those grades. But if he is in ninth through 12th grade, you will likely need to record the grades and somehow reflect how remedial action was taken.

If it were my kid I've have them repeat the two classes. It does not sound like test anxiety to me, but more likely poor time management, not studying, smart but not applying himself (skating by/lazy)... Honestly that sounds like tons (is not most) of 14ish year old boys. But, imho, that's not an excuse. He's old enough to know better and I would guess you warned or asked him about the classes. Can he normally wait until the last minute on stuff and get a pass? Unless some totally out of his control thing happened, he needs to learn from it. He's asst a great age to learn it, too. I'd have him working over the summer to make up the work. With only two classes, and his being "smart" he should be able to make it up by the start of school. I'd look at Mr D for math, and have him redo the English. Maybe all of it. Obviously I don't know you and your family, but I don't think "smart" is any where near as important as diligent, consistent, and hard working and by giving a pass and essentially fudging grades I don't think he'd learn anything. YMMV, but with a14 year old rising freshman in my house, that's exactly what I'd do.

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 2

re: "mad rush to complete the classes", how did that actually work out?

I haven't signed my kids up for online classes, but I did my MLS online. (Back in 2002-2003?) Things were generally paced with a weekly participation grade paired with weekly assignments. Then there were two or three projects spaced through the semester, and then the Final. The only way we could have a "mad rush" at any point was by putting off a major project, perhaps possibly due to the professors not putting them on the syllabus, or on the calendar, but tucked away in a corner, and then finding out about them at the last minute... *cough cough*

But it would be helpful to know how the mad rush came about, and what the proportion/weight of grades were for the weekly assignments/tests/participation/projects, versus that of his final exam, on his final grade.

• Like 1

Do you think he actually knows the algebra, but froze up on the test? I'd evaluate his algebra skills and then decide what to do about it from there. You could use something like aleks.com or the Lial's Intermediate Algebra pretest to see if he really knows his stuff. If he isn't solid in algebra, he's going to struggle in math if you just push forward. Frankly, I've had both of my kids run through algebra more than once even though they each did well with it the first time. For my son, we did stretch it out over another year, while also doing a light geometry program (MUS). With my dd, she ran through a second algebra text over the summer. Both benefited from being introduced to the concepts more than once.

I don't think I'd "repeat" 9th grade English, but rather figure out what skills he needs to develop and go from there.

As far as the grades go, for me, that would depend on how well he has actually mastered the material and, if he hasn't, whether you remediate. I wouldn't give him an F for freezing up on a test if he was solid on his algebra or even if he wasn't now, but becomes solid at some point. Once he has mastered algebra, I'd give him a grade in accordance with that. His grades should reflect his performance and his effort, imo, and all be in line with a standard that you apply consistently in your homeschool, rather than based on the whim of a particular provider.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 2

If he isn't solid in algebra, he's going to struggle in math if you just push forward. Frankly, I've had both of my kids run through algebra more than once even though they each did well with it the first time.

:iagree:

I have always felt that algebra is the most challenging AND most important math subject. If a student is weak in algebra, many technical fields will be a struggle for them.

When our twins completed lower-level math, MomsintheGarden gave them each the option to either go straight into Algebra 1 or do Prealgebra first. Then-DD11 chose to go directly into Algebra 1 while then-DS11 chose to do Prealgbra first. Guess what: DS15 is now AHEAD of DD15 in math. Like most of our children (except then-DS11), then-DD11 hit a brick wall when she started Algebra 1 and had to go back and start over again after floundering for a while.

Algebra is hard. It is also a major paradigm shift from all earlier math subjects. Many students simply get left behind when they hit that point in their math studies. If your son may need math in his future, then I recommend that you take the time to sure up his algebra skills.

As an aside, I have found that PSAT and SAT prep are excellent ways to hone students' algebra skills.

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies.

Midori- his classes were self paced. You are given a start date and an end date. There wasn't a weekly deadline for assignments. You turned them in once you finished them. You must finish the final by the end date. If you don't, there is an additional fee to extend the class. We were trying to get it in before we would have to pay the extra fee, although we ended up paying it anyway just to avoid the cramming situation. The exams are 25% of the grade, but you must receive a 70% or higher to pass the class. He was receiving a B+ in Algebra and anB- in English before his exam.

Fried Clams- "Can he normally wait until the last minute on stuff and get a pass?" Obviously I don't know you and your family, but I don't think "smart" is any where near as important as diligent, consistent, and hard working and by giving a pass and essentially fudging grades I don't think he'd learn anything."

We live in Hawaii. It would take over a week for the exam to get to the proctor after we requested it. During that time he was studying for the finals, so it wasn't as though he was cramming for the exam the night before. We ended up even extending the classes anyway so that wouldn't be the case. It wasn't my intention to "fudge" grades. That would not benefit anyone in this situation.

On My Own- thank you for your suggestions. I am evaluating his skills in both classes and seeing how to proceed.

Edited by asher
  • Like 1

RegGuheert- I completely agree with you about PreAlgebra. I feel like we rushed past it and we really should've given it more mind. He's actually had to spend a lot longer on Algebra so that he can understand the concepts.

• Like 1

We live in Hawaii. It would take over a week for the exam to get to the proctor after we requested it.

Wow! That's a bit hard to imagine in this day and age. Just because the test needs to be proctored is no reason it couldn't be delivered electronically. Just let the proctor download a PDF, print it, and then give the exam.

Or perhaps I am missing something...

• Like 1

We could have it electronically sent, but that took 5 days to arrive as well. We would request expedited shipping, but it took the same amount of time. It was extremely frustrating and very suspicious 😒