Menu

Patellar dislocation and horseback riding

Innisfree

Does anyone have experience with this?

Dd has had a history of her patella becoming dislocated, apparently based on underlying structural issues.

Her orthopedist said that continuing riding after her initial recovery would be fine, but her riding instructor thought he was basing that opinion on insufficient understanding of the stresses involved in horseback riding. Posting and two-point position both seem to me to pose hazards.

Dd wants to get back to riding but says her patella feels "wiggly." We are both worried, but she loves riding, and it has been very good for her in general. Do any experienced riders have thoughts on how dangerous this is?

Edited by Innisfree

Can you consult a physical therapist who could give you more insight?  Maybe a knee brace or taping would help.  I don't know for sure but I do know that riding can be hard on your knees.....hence the torn meniscus I had.

• Like 1

Thanks.

She has a brace, and if she returns to riding we're planning on having her use it. I wish I had thought to talk to her physical therapists about this before her treatment ended. I've wondered about seeing another doctor for a second opinion, but she's already seen the local sports medicine guy.

Hope your miniscus healed well!

I don't have a patella that dislocates, but I have severe arthritis behind both of my patellas (is that the plural??? patelli?). I would second talking to a PT for specific exercises to strengthen the muscles that hold the patella in place. A large part of my arthritis they think is due to the patella being in an incorrect position as I grew up and played sports/horse back riding, etc. Theoretically strengthening the muscles of the thigh and around the knee will help keep it in place. You can also get a PT to show you how to tape her knee with kinesiology tape and that might help hold her patella in place. Here's a link.   https://kinesiotaping.com/about/what-is-kinesio-tape/

My PT can actually use that tape to pull my patella over into the correct position to make exercise less painful and it keeps my knee from "catching". 

I think a PT is a good idea all the way around. I wish someone had suggested one to me years ago. I have had painful knees since high school and every ortho (until my latest one) just told me it was fine, no arthritis, do some leg lifts. Now at 40 I've had two arthroscopies and actually need a patella replacement. I can't ride any more at the moment. My arthritic knees can't take the stress since my surgery. 

I would consult the PT and let them work with her on the riding. I personally (with no expertise) don't see any reason that she can't continue to ride, but the PT may want her to work on certain exercises before she goes back to posting, etc. 

Good luck! 

Thanks.

She has a brace, and if she returns to riding we're planning on having her use it. I wish I had thought to talk to her physical therapists about this before her treatment ended. I've wondered about seeing another doctor for a second opinion, but she's already seen the local sports medicine guy.

Hope your miniscus healed well!

Oh one other thing--  you might be able to call your ortho back and simply get orders for PT if he's willing to order it. And I've found the kinseotape to work much better than any brace. I tried the brace first 10+ years ago. The tape is better and isn't uncomfortable. You can leave it on for up to 2 days at a time according to my PT.