Menu

Dyslexic friendly secular world history?

I was looking at History Odyssey level 2 and I think this is too much writing for my dyslexic child. We have been informal with history but would like to start with something structured now want to do a world history overview before breaking it down. I'm looking for a spine that is truly secular, but respectful. 

Edited by summerreading

K12 Human Odyssey + World History Detective by Critical Thinking Co. if you want some form of output. (It is workbook based so not a lot of writing, but very high-quality and, as a bonus, it will double as reading comprehension/test prep practice.)

• Like 2

K12 Human Odyssey + World History Detective by Critical Thinking Co. if you want some form of output. (It is workbook based so not a lot of writing, but very high-quality and, as a bonus, it will double as reading comprehension/test prep practice.)

This sounds perfect. Thank you!

My son may be dyslexic (we have strong suspicions but haven't been able to get him tested yet).  We've been using Story of the World since he was 7 (he's nine now) at a very slow place (but we went at a faster pace this year).   It doesn't necessary have to include ANY writing.  There are narration questions in the activity book which you could read to your child (how old is your child?)...but so far, for Volume 1 at least, it doesn't have any  necessary writing.  

It's is a secula-rish resource.  It includes myths and it does include some Bible stories.  While the myths are usually fairly clearly distinguished from the history (but not always...there's a few places I've felt the need to explain that this was just a story), the Bible Stories are handled in a way that those who believe this is history could handle...in other words its not clearly defined as myth or fact...that's left a little vague (which as a Christian I appreciate, but I've heard some secular homeschoolers complain about this...though I know many secular homeschoolers who use this curriculum without any problems).  I think she was trying to write in a way that Christians and non-Christians could both use this book.   It's not like a religious curriculum in that while it talks about various religions and includes stories from varies religions it does not (in my opinion) push religion.  In most Chrsitian history curriculum there's a lot of talk about God's work in the world and you don't find that in Story of the World.

Edited by goldenecho

My son may be dyslexic (we have strong suspicions but haven't been able to get him tested yet).  We've been using Story of the World since he was 7 (he's nine now) at a very slow place (but we went at a faster pace this year).   It doesn't necessary have to include ANY writing.  There are narration questions in the activity book which you could read to your child (how old is your child?)...but so far, for Volume 1 at least, it doesn't have any  necessary writing.  

It's is a secula-rish resource.  It includes myths and it does include some Bible stories.  While the myths are usually fairly clearly distinguished from the history (but not always...there's a few places I've felt the need to explain that this was just a story), the Bible Stories are handled in a way that those who believe this is history could handle...in other words its not clearly defined as myth or fact...that's left a little vague (which as a Christian I appreciate, but I've heard some secular homeschoolers complain about this...though I know many secular homeschoolers who use this curriculum without any problems).  I think she was trying to write in a way that Christians and non-Christians could both use this book.   It's not like a religious curriculum in that while it talks about various religions and includes stories from varies religions it does not (in my opinion) push religion.  In most Chrsitian history curriculum there's a lot of talk about God's work in the world and you don't find that in Story of the World.

Thank you for the suggestion. We did do SOTW through the end of Vol 1 with our co-op. We are Muslim and found that the books didn't fit our needs. When looking for a spine I found a lot of really cool books that were listed as "secular but Christian friendly" and most of these were in fact not secular and had problematic issues when addressing Islam. So if something is raising an eyebrow in one section, I can't use it b/c I don't know where other people may be misrepresented. So I decided 100% secular it is for history. Not foolproof, but good enough. Hopefully, Human Odyssey will work out good. 

My 2e dyslexic/dysgraphic DS used HO 2 Ancients in 7th grade. I understand the program has been revised since then. Anyhoo...I modified the writing assignments to suit my learner, and we used k12 Human Odyssey and OUP Ancient books.

Thanks

I may revisit HO next year and just cull some of the writing.

Thanks

I may revisit HO next year and just cull some of the writing.

HO is the handheld version of SWB's history binder recs. You could use the K12 text and apply the WTM principles to it.

My son is dyslexic and dysgraphic, so he typed most of his work. He kept a word document for each folder in the history notebook and appended information to each document as he progressed through history. Prior to reading, I might tell him to take note of three people discussed and write down 3-5 interesting things about them. DS would then append his people.doc file. After about 4 months, he would print everything and place his writing in the history binder. We used a computer based timeline as well. Mapwork was the most difficult, and I like how HO provided that. My son was never a fan of historical fiction or the red KFH. We subbed mindmaps for outlines, and he watched many documentaries.

• Like 2