Menu

Dh wants an overarching plan/watch me figure out K-8

vorbarra

If you work your way through all three of the BFSU books your kid will have a better science background than many high school graduates. My plan, as a college science professor, is to finish book 3, then use college textbooks to teach year-long courses in biology, chemistry, physics, and another science of his choice (I have, from teaching classes and taking classes for my own enjoyment, recent textbooks on astronomy, geology, marine biology, microbiology, and programming.

There are numerous similar textbooks available for HS science, some of which I've seen and am reasonably impressed with, but I see no reason for me, personally, to spend extra money to purchase those when I already own a nice collection of introductory college textbooks. If you live near a college, you might want to see what their bookstore has in the way of used textbooks. Amazon has a nice selection of those, as well. Because new editions come out regularly (even for subjects that don't change much), often students can't sell back textbooks, even at the low prices they're usually offered, so you might be able to pick up a perfectly good textbook for cheap from a student who would be grateful to get a little cash for a book they have no other way to sell. Students who take introductory courses to meet science requirements rarely hang onto those books afterwards.

I don't think either dh or I ever sold a book back during college, but then we are also academics which I suspect is just a fancy word for book hoarder. The plan is to find the texts that the MIT opencourseware programs use. They are mostly two or three editions behind at this point, so I've seen them for $10-25. Which considering they were probably $250 new, isn't bad at all. The only one I'm even tempted to buy newer is biology just because things change so fast in bio at the moment, but I think we'll be supplementing with articles and recently published books so I'm on the fence.

• Like 1

I'd recommend Mensa's Excellence in Reading program. It's four lists of books for grades K-3, 4-6, 7-8, and 9-12. They recommend that you start with the list that is grade-level appropriate and then move up or down as needed/desired for the remaining lists.

The K-3 list is mostly picture books and short chapter books, but there are a few longer titles (Little House on the Prairie and Charlotte's Web, for example). I didn't know about the program myself until DS was near the end of 3rd grade, so we used the first list as summer reading (finished a month into 4th grade).

The books can be completed as read-alouds (parent, or even teacher although the parent is still responsible for maintaining the list), audiobooks, or independent-reads. When you complete the first list, your child gets a certificate and a teeshirt (free). Every subsequent list gets a new certificate.

The books are amazing, the program is free, and the rules allow the program to work even with children who struggle with reading. As long as they are capable of understanding and enjoying the stories, that's enough.

You can find the lists by googling "Mensa Excellence in Reading"

Thanks! I loved doing book it as a kid, and we do the Library's reading program, but this looks great!

• Like 1

I don't think either dh or I ever sold a book back during college, but then we are also academics which I suspect is just a fancy word for book hoarder. The plan is to find the texts that the MIT opencourseware programs use. They are mostly two or three editions behind at this point, so I've seen them for $10-25. Which considering they were probably $250 new, isn't bad at all. The only one I'm even tempted to buy newer is biology just because things change so fast in bio at the moment, but I think we'll be supplementing with articles and recently published books so I'm on the fence.

Yep, I resemble that remark as well. I rarely sold back books even though I was paying my own way through college. Really dull history books, and a few social science books were about it, and I actually kept a fair number of those too. I've rid myself of quite a few old science textbooks as I replaced them with up-to-date versions, but I still have several shelves of books from college in spite of that.

Hi Friend, I don't have time this morning to read through all 3 pages of the posts, but  I can recommend something that might be useful for your 3 year old. I apologize if this is redundant.

Critical Thinking Math for preschoolers, and their thinking skills books. These are great for preschool in laying an enthusiasm for math and a good foundation of geometry. My only criticism is that the pages of addition and subtraction were not developmentally appropriate for my daughter at that time. But I chose to have her do a selection of it - not all at one time. When I had one in Jr high at the time, and another building reading fluency, these books were a perfect fit for my young scientist in training. Now, she is is rising 3rd grader with very solid math skills.

Critical Thinking Company has bundle deals that might be worth looking at.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/preschool-academics

I'm on the fence about a preschool curriculum, and if I actually need one. I liked the look of a Year of Playing Skillfully or maybe A Child's World, something gentle and Reggio inspired, I think. But then I go back to just wandering around outside and chasing bugs which seems good too.

You might take a look at Wee Folk Art's seasonal Preschool plans. With hands-on manipulatives for math and AAR PK level, you'd have a wonderful year with a lot of learning and tons of time to be a kid still :)