Menu

Apologia Lab Kits - did you?

whiteisle

I bought one for Botany, which was very handy and totally worth the $$. Next year we are mixing up the Zoology, and I looked over the supply lists, and most of it seemed readily available in my house. I'm not much of a shopper, and loathe having to run out for supplies, so it's possible I will cave and buy one, depending on the enthusiasm of my students[emoji3] sometimes opening something from a box makes it feel more exotic/official for them....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the book.  For Zoology 3 we didn't buy the kit.  I had most of what we needed and/or was able to get the rest for very little $$.  I'd go over the supply lists and decide which items you'd need.  Some (like General, I believe) require some items that are harder to get.  For those levels, I'd buy the kit and save the headache of trying to scrounge up obscure items. 

Look at the supply lists before you buy a kit.   I taught General at a co-op last year, and there were only a handful of items (like corks and alum, for example) that I didn't already have at home.  It really depends on your goals and how your family works.

I have friends who buy the kit each year because it includes EVERYTHING needed.   The kit stays in a box, in a designated area in their house, and the child knows to go to that box for any experiments.  No one takes anything out of the box unless they are doing a science lab.    Mom doesn't need to run to the grocery store to buy a 2-liter bottle of soda, when the family doesn't drink soda, just because one child needs the 2-liter bottle for a lab.    I'm more of the type to look ahead and see that in the next chapter, I'll need a 2-littler bottle, so I start asking if I can take empty bottles home when we're at a church social.