Menu

Please talk to me about homeschooling high school in NC

Seriously considering a move to the east coast of NC. (Husband has wanted to move "home" since we were married.) We currently live in NJ where homeschooling laws are very...uh, relaxed/non-existent. Can you please tell me about homeschooling high school in NC? Dual enrollment possibilities? My high schooler is currently enrolled for dual enrollment here in the fall.

• Like 1

Pretty relaxed here in NC! Here is the website for information. They suggest you follow a certain high school sequence but it's just a suggestion. 

Must have 180 days attendance on file, up to date immune records, and a yearly testing once in your school year. Seriously, I keep really great records of the "must haves" but nobody has checked ours or even called for a visit. So, pretty relaxed. Of course, you will have to keep a transcript for high school years but nothing required below high school. 

Depending on where you will be living in NC, I'd check with your local community college about their dual enrollment. Ours is called "Career and College Promise" and they accept juniors and seniors. They have certain pathways.... transfer (AA in Arts or AA in Science) and technical pathway. 

My rising junior starts taking cc classes in the fall.... free tuition... just pay for books. Our advisor just works with high school dual enrollment teens and is super helpful. 

Check with local high schools as well. Our local high school will let homeschoolers take two classes as a part-time student. Free, of course. They can be academic or elective. Just depends on your principle and what they are willing to offer. 

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck with your move to NC!

• Like 2

Pretty relaxed here in NC! Here is the website for information. They suggest you follow a certain high school sequence but it's just a suggestion. 

Must have 180 days attendance on file, up to date immune records, and a yearly testing once in your school year. Seriously, I keep really great records of the "must haves" but nobody has checked ours or even called for a visit. So, pretty relaxed. Of course, you will have to keep a transcript for high school years but nothing required below high school. 

Depending on where you will be living in NC, I'd check with your local community college about their dual enrollment. Ours is called "Career and College Promise" and they accept juniors and seniors. They have certain pathways.... transfer (AA in Arts or AA in Science) and technical pathway. 

My rising junior starts taking cc classes in the fall.... free tuition... just pay for books. Our advisor just works with high school dual enrollment teens and is super helpful. 

Check with local high schools as well. Our local high school will let homeschoolers take two classes as a part-time student. Free, of course. They can be academic or elective. Just depends on your principle and what they are willing to offer. 

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck with your move to NC!

Thanks so much for the info!

• Like 1