Menu

Writing & Rhetoric by Classical Academic Press

Well, Heather, I took the plunge.  I bought a set of book 5 and book 6.  When both sets get here, I am going to go through them carefully.  I can give you some of my thoughts, if you think that will help.  I am going to use this with a 14 yo dd who has been brought up using the WWE and some of the WWS books.  So , she is used to this approach.  We just took at year off and used Wordsmith this year, as her brother was in that "senior year, dual classes, college competition, and Eagle Scout project" mode and I had to simplify her schedule.  (I am an old homeschooler..... Can't keep up like I used to do......)  That said, she is ready to start writing essays.

So, even though no one responds, maybe I can give you some thoughts on this curriculum in a week or so.  

Hope that helps,

Brenda 

• Like 1

I would, absolutely. I used book 6 and half of book 7 this year with my 7th grader, and three months into the school year I noticed that the amount and the quality of writing that she was doing was greater than that of my 9th grader. The topics that she was writing on were also much deeper. Heck, the thinking that was required of her for the discussions and the annotating and the writing was deeper than anything required of my 9th grader this year. The lessons are quite long, as well...that is why we couldn't come close to finishing two books in a year for the first time since beginning the series.

I regret not sticking with the series with my oldest when she was younger, but at the time it felt too babyish for her (she only used the first two books). I think it would have better prepared her for higher-level thinking and writing, and nothing I have used since with her has had anywhere near the depth that Writing & Rhetoric has. I hope to use the first of the high school level writing books (Rhetoric Alive) with her before she graduates, but I am still waiting for her to gain the necessary maturity because it will be quite a leap in the depth of thought that will be required. After using the W&R series, my middle child will be more than prepared for the high school writing series.

Edited by Clear Creek
  • Like 3

Wow!  Thanks so much for those words about the Writing & Rhetoric series.  I so understand that feeling when you are using a newer curriculum and you say, "Boy, I sure do wish I had had this curriculum for DS #1" However, the curriculum had not even been written when that child needed it!

But now that I have graduated a few, new curriculum or not, they got what they needed at the time they needed it.  It may not have been what younger brother or sister got, but they were not hindered in their academic pursuits.  

Many of us here graduated our first ones with BJU, Rod and Staff, and the first edition of Tapestry of Grace(anyone remember yellow and blue pages.....) and they turned out just fine.  

Don't quite know where I was going with that  post......

Blessings,

Brenda

• Like 1