Menu

S/O Dog training career

Innisfree

In the dog sitting thread, Paws4me mentioned dog training programs.

What is the best training route for a teen who is interested in this as a possible career?

I know there are the programs mentioned in the other thread, and I've heard animal behaviorists mentioned also.

The teen in question is not academically gifted, but has worked hard and trained her own dog pretty well. College might be a stretch, but community college seems reasonable. Or, if she's interested enough, she might manage more than we can currently predict.

Any ideas or information?

I'd look up local dog training clubs. Start taking classes there and hopefully she could get one of the trainers to take her on as an apprentice. Petsmart has an in-house training program that from what I understand is relatively easy to get hired for in many areas. It is NOT well regarded among people in the know (and that's an understatement), but it's possibly another place to start, something to put on a resume.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks, that's a good start.

What *is* well regarded among people in the know?

Working your way up through the trenches (apprenticeships, etc.).

Training your own dogs (note plural) to a high level (titling in obedience).

Attending classes, workshops, seminars and webinars by well regarded trainers (Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell, Karen Pryor are the oldies I'm most familiar with--there are probably lots of younger well regarded trainers). I *believe* Karen Pryor offers some type of certification. If I wanted some type of credential I'd look at that or maybe this. She definitely wants something more than a certificate she just has to pay for (like the Association of Pet Dog Trainers offers).

Training and competing in various dog sports (flyball, agility, etc.).

• Like 1