Menu

If you live in PA, could you answer this question about working permits?

samba

My dd17 is not a PA resident but she will be living and working in PA for the summer. She graduates this week. I already have her final transcript and diploma that were issued by our umbrella. Does she still need working papers if she has graduated high school? 

I know PA requires a permit for students under 18 but she's no longer a student, right? I have called the district office in the county where she'll be working but am awaiting a call back.

Thanks!

I live in PA and my kids got work permits, but they had not graduated.  I found this - the question in this FAQ pertains to dropouts but I think it answers your question.  Looks like yes, they need one.  It has to do with child (minor) labor; I think school status has nothing to do with it.  

Q: If a student drops out of school at age 17, do they still need a work permit?
A: Yes. The Pennsylvania Child Labor Act requires all minors 14 through 17 to have a work permit in order to be employed. A 17 year old who has dropped out of school should request a letter indicating this status from their home school district. This letter, along with a valid work permit, will indicate to the employer that they are exempt from restrictions concerning work hours. Minors who have graduated high school or who are exempt from compulsory attendance under the Pennsylvania Public School Code are not subject to the Act's hours of employment or work time restrictions.

http://www.education.pa.gov/Pages/Codes%20and%20Regulations/Child-Labor-Law.aspx#tab-1

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1