Menu

Dictation

LN in WI

Are there any books that I can use for dictation? I know I should be able to just pull a sentence from what we are reading, but I would like this to be a subject where I can be completely brain dead. I just want to be able to open the book and dictate. I don't want to worry about what is age appropriate, etc.

Any thoughts ?

BTW, dd is 7yo.

TIA

Ellen

is a spelling/dictation exercise book that uses 6000 of the most commonly used spelling words (in several volumes!) in dictation exercises that range from simple to very challenging (length varies as well). http://www.simplycharlottemason.com

I personally haven't USED it (yet!), but it is such a tempting purchase for me once tax money comes!

Sue

One idea is to take one book, such as Stuart Little and start dictation from the beginning of the book. Work through the book, continuously dictating from the book. Day 1 you dictate from Ch 1, line 1 to whatever your child can handle. Day 2 you pick up from where you left off the day before. Continue in this manner. I did this with both my boys using Stuart Little, and then using Anne of Green Gables. They really, really looked forward to doing dictation so they could hear the story!

We too used Harp and Laurel Wreath book for dictation however one problem we had was that my boys became really interested in the stories, and I could not find these OOP books for them to read 'the rest of the story'

I already have the Harp and the Laurel Wreath so I will start with that. Unfortunately it is somewhere in the twenty or so boxes of books that have yet to be unpacked from our move (two years ago -- sigh).

Guess it as good an excuse as any to buy more bookshelves!

Ellen