Menu

Sitting Rate Question

goldberry

8 year old boy. 3 days a week, 7am - 3:30pm.  For summer while school is out.  Any ideas what to charge?  DD was making 8-10/hour for weekend evening sitting of toddler age.  I know a regular gig would be less per hour obviously.  

Edited by goldberry

If she is 18 and makes enough to pay self employment taxes on the earnings for this job (it used to be at least certain amount/quarter for self employment taxes to need to be filed, but not sure what the rule is now), it would not be worth it for $8-$10/hr. At least at a local clothing store or restaurant that pays about $10/hr, she wouldn't have to worry with additional self employment taxes. If it adds up to being not enough income to file self employment taxes, then $8-$10/hr may be worth it if she will have some downtime to study or work on a hobby while the 8 yo is playing with neighbors, at the park, neighborhood pool, or watching a bit of TV. Watching 2 kids in that age range may be less intense than watching 1, because 2 kids can play together and an 8 yr old may look to her to entertain him most of the day.

ETA: I read the thread title not knowing you meant babysitting. I read the 1st line quickly as 8yo old boy, 3 days/week, 7-3:30, what to CHANGE? (instead of charge) I was prepared to reply, "turn off the TV, lock him outside with bike and huge water bottle, and tell him to exercise." I thought for an instant you were wondering the amount of time other 8yos sit and what to change in a boy sitting that long amount of time. I need a nap.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1