Menu

Singapore 4A math question

beansprouts

You'd do this using the bar method-one bar for each pile. (I can't 'draw' it on the computer-maybe someone else can)

We're in 4A also, and this is the first year I've really used the HIG a lot. It helps me explain the text in more depth. Sometimes there's only 1/4 page lesson in the text, and there's a much lengthier description in the HIG. CWP or IP is great for mastering these word problems too, and there are examples included.

Page 41 in the Textbook "Review A" problem #10:

Up to this point, I have been very comfortable with the math and not found a need for the teacher's manual. There have been a few problems like these, and I am not seeing how they relate to the preceding lessons. I know how to solve the problems algebraically (pile #3 is x, pile #2 is 2x, pile #1 is 2x+10) and this is what I taught dd. She caught on to this and was able to finish the problem. However, if she was supposed to learn an entirely different skill, I don't want to skip it.

How would you handle this with a 9 1/2 year old 5th grader? As this program becomes more advanced, am I going to run into more situations where the TM would be helpful?

Okay, let me take a stab at this.

I think this is how it would be done. Please someone correct me if I am wrong!

3000 books in all, so we will have three bars/piles. Bar 1 will have 10 more books than Bar 2, and Bar 3 will be exactly half of Bar 2 because Bar 2 is twice of Bar 3. So, taking that into account, here is how I would set it up.

Bar 1 __________________ ___________________ ___

Bar 2 __________________ ___________________

Bar 3 __________________

So, now we can see that if there are 3000 books in all and each of the units shown is equal but Bar 1 has ten more we need to figure out how to divide 3000 between the bars. We take out 10 because that's already accounted for in Bar 1--the small line. Then, when we divide up 2990 by 5, the answer for each bar is 598. Then, from that we can see that pile 3 has 598 books in it. The reason the first bar ends up cut in half is because we have had a quantity in Bar 3 that indicates 2 is twice of three. I tried to put numbers under my bars but in the preview it didn't appear right. Not sure what I am doing wrong or how to show it better.

I would highly recommend the Home Instructor Guide sold by Sonlight.

Best wishes--

Anita

Edited by Violet
Edited to take away 10 from 3000, not 100!