Menu

Alternatives to ALEKS

Misha

If you've read any of my posts, you know that I spend a lot of time freaking out about math. 

I've decided to keep my girls with CLE instead of looking for a new, miracle curriculum. I sit with them for every lesson and help them to understand the questions if they need. The spiral curriculum is the best for them. We re-tried Math Mammoth and the mastery approach of that was decidedly not working for DD1.

My youngest daughter is so easy going and learns so well with nearly anything and my elder daughter, she is my math phobic child. She freezes up with her multiplication tables. She says that she feels "stupid" at math and it break my heart to hear her say that. She's actually very good at math, but she feels like she's going to be terrible - it's a vicious cycle, and we're trying to help her break it. She loves fractions, and she loves what she's had of algebra (through Dragonbox). She really enjoys multiplication, but she doesn't have confidence in her memory. 

I'm looking for a supplement (preferably online) that will help her fill in the gaps. Multiplication, certainly, but not only.

Any suggestions?

How about the Prodigy math game? There is a Facebook group set up to organize group buys and you can get a 1 year subscription for $14. There is a free version as well but the subscription is worth while.

It is more for practice than instruction but it got my kids doing math willingly for fun.