Menu

Scheduling EIW with EIL

mytwomonkeys

If you have used (or plan to use) both Essential in Writing, as well as Essentials in Literature, how did you schedule these two? Both daily? Rotate? Did you finish both within the school year?

My son is 13 and will be in grade 8. I'm just trying to figure out what will work best for utilizing both & still complete each within the school year.

Thanks for any help!!

Amy

• Like 3

I have not used EIL (it wasn't out in time for me to consider). However, what I have done in junior high and high school is to use EIW for 30 minutes a day (give or take) and have my kids read for 30 minutes per day for a combination "Lit and Composition" type of English credit. (We use a lot of Sonlight books, and would discuss a couple of times per week outside this time. I know EIL focuses more on short stories and other shorter readings though.)

We didn't always finish every last assignment in EIW doing it this way (depended on the student and how much we worked on revising, whether outside writing sometimes crowded out an EIW assignment etc...), but we did what worked for us. Maybe that will give you an idea, at least for the EIW side of things.

• Like 1

That is helpful, thank you! I like your idea of creating your own program. I want to incorporate literary analysis, but I'm not sure that I want it to be 5 days a week... Just something that is fairly painless but reviews literary terms and comprehension. EIL is kind of pricey so I'm not sure which route to go. I appreciate your reply.

Amy

You may like what we do for literature. I assign a novel for the semester. We read 1-2 chapters per week, depending on the length of the book. My goal is to make the book last for the semester.

Every Friday (which is our off day), we have a lit circle, where we analyze the chapter with good open-ended discussion questions.

I like to pair that discussion with tea, if time allows.

During the week, I incorporate discussions of literature elements, etc. I also occasionally assign writing assignments that match up with what we are doing or have done recently in EIW.

We cover two novels a school year, plus I'll assign a shorter Christmas novel for Nov/Dec.

They do other reading on their own, as well.