Menu

Our Logic Stage yr1 Comments?

I'm sad to see you deleted your message. =(

I was just thinking last night how much more difficult my younger ds's 5th grade *seems* than my oldest's. The jump into Logic stage expectations was much more of a jolt than I anticipated, and I wonder if I was really just too easy on him in 4th grade (ahem!). I guess I expected the jolt with my oldest, because we pulled him out of public school mid-5th grade.

I'd be curious to know if other moms of new-to-logic-stage students are feeling a bit - idk, maybe .... incompetent?

btw - I know that my younger ds is *so* much ahead of where my oldest was at his age, and I know that with the same baby steps, he'll get to where his older brother is now. But, I still feel nervous - like I forgot to show up for a final exam and I'm going to ruin him somehow - LOL!

Anyway, I'd love to talk about your first logic stage year! I bet others would, too.

Rhonda

Okay, I will repost:

Math:NEED A LONG TERM WKBK BASED SOLUTION

MindSprinting.com

Math Detective: Beginning

Handwriting:

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive Success

Grammar:

Growing With Grammar 5

Writing:

Jump In!

Outlining

Spelling:

Evan Moor BSSDP 5

Reading: Would love to use Mosdos here but too much $$$

WTM Ancients List

The Good Books List

Reading Detective: A1

History/Geography/Lit Studies:

Pandia Press History Ody: Level 2 Ancients

Science:

Rainbow Yr1

Science Detective: Beginning

Music/Art Appreciation:

Harmony Fine Arts Grade 5

Latin:

Getting Started With Latin

Typing:

Typing Instructor for Kids

I am going with the 'no need to prep formal Logic studies' camp. Looks intimidating, actually. What does the Hive think?

Edited by Guest

Hey! I'm sorry - I thought I had posted before -

Anyway...

Good news re: logic - on a CD I have from SWB made this summer (but I'm not sure where - it *wasn't* the same as what I heard here in Atlanta), she recommends choosing "something" from Critical Thinking Press in whatever area really interests your child. So, with the Reading & Science & Math Detectives, you are right on track!

We really liked the Logic Ancients list for literature!

I haven't used the other items you mentioned - though we did try History Odyssey Middle Ages. It was too overwhelming for *my* ds to do independently (which was what I was hoping for). But, hopefully, your mileage will vary!

Are you still looking for a Math? Abeka is kind of like a workbook - it is designed for 5th graders to write in the book. But, we often ended up using graph paper, which kind of defeated the purpose.

Best of luck!

Rhonda

Thanks and yes, I still need a good math. I think we have tried all but the ABeka and Developmental Math recs from WTM. ABeka seems to be Saxon in color. We hated Saxon and Singapore here. I just never 'got' Singapore well enough to teach it. Saxon just drove us all insane.

...a workbook for Math, but I also saw in your post that you were looking for "no prep". I just have to recommend Teaching Textbooks Math CDRoms to you because there is absolutely no prep and no grading. We're using it for 6th gr. and it has been a hit with me and my oldest ds. Check out the demo on their site: http://www.teachingtextbooks.com

HTH!