Menu

Dog whisperers - advice re: kennel care

Miss Marple

We will be leaving our fluffy ones for a week at a local vet/dog spa.  This spa offers doggy day care which we've used twice so far with my just-turned-1 year old labradoodle.  The first time I took her in, she was happy to trot off with the handler.  The second time, when she realized that I was leaving, she tried to come back to me and didn't seem so happy.  However, on pick up they told me she had enjoyed playing with the other dogs and had spent a lot of time in the pool (of course) and she was tired out for the rest of the day.

I had hoped that by taking her a few times before leaving her for the week that she would be more comfortable.  I have a miniature poodle who will be going also, but I think it will be traumatic for her no matter what since she's a clingy one (that's the poodle personality in my experience).

So here's the question:  am I stressing them more by taking them before leaving them, or will it be better emotionally for them to have been there a few times?