Menu

Equestrian Moms....Newbie here

Hi,

Due to finances and location, we were never able to do equestrian, and also my daughter was not as interested. She just began and absolutely loves it. She has always dreamed of being around horses, but just didn't necessarily want the lessons. (She always pictured herself on a farm with friendly horses around, petting them, etc.)

Anyway, she is beginning English style and has a good helmet (OneK), paddocks, chaps, jods, etc. (oh my gosh I'm broke.) ....

Can anyone give us advice for newbies...just little things you wish you knew? (Without scaring me please I already know how dangerous it is.)

Also, what should lessons look like, and how much should the teacher talk about safety? This teacher didn't say much, but she did intuitivel SHOW my daughter many safety things. However, then the tack lady was giving me advice and saying safety training should be verbal, and often. My daughter is very intuitive and the instructor may have picked up on this, but I still want to know, what to look for in the next few lessons. We have two barns nearby, so we do have some choices.

What I liked about this barn was that it was laid back, the horses are gorgeous and very well kept (they raise performance horses), and there are summer camps, parties, and some of the kids also go to 4H which my dd will go to.

What I wasn't sure about, was, it looked like other girls having lessons before we got there weren't getting one on one training and were left to just walk their horse in circles for almost 10 minutes. But my dd said it could have been their cool-down period and what do I know? I don't know the first thing. :) Also, she was training a big male horse in the paddock with the thing-that-looks-like-a-whip-but-isn't-it's-made-of-string....isnt that dangerous to trian a big male horse while 2 girls are having their lessons? Or is that normal?

During her lesson my dd had one on one instruction and no other horse in the paddock.

Edited by Calming Tea

Safety-wise, they should verbally have gone over certain big ones. Such as how to safely go behind the horse (either very close, while patting the horse's rear as you cross, or a very wide circle, so you are not within kicking range). Also, bending at the waist and not squatting next to the horse (which always seems backwards to me, since I'm usually thinking of back safety). Did they have her do her own grooming and tacking up of the horse?

Thanks Kand!

yes they did go over the two things about being behind the horse.  She read about 6 horse manuals so she knew that already.  They did have her groom, tack, clean out the feet, brush them, and put the blanket on.  

I don't know about bending at the waist.  I will ask her.

They didn't have her keep her helmet on while she was grooming.  

I am sure they don't want to overwhelm the kids on the first lesson...

What did you think about training the big male horse while the other girls were walking their horses?

When she was doing groundwork, hopefully she had the horse on a lead? I would be okay with that, but I definitely wouldn't want a loose horse in the arena while kids were taking lessons.

The fact that the horse was male wouldn't be a concern to me. He was most likely a gelding, and geldings are generally considered to be more calm and even-tempered than mares (and definitely more so than stallions).

I think it is important to verbalize safety instructions with beginners, and to repeat them until they become second nature. I always had my kids keep their helmets on while grooming when they were beginners, too.

• Like 2

Safety-wise, they should verbally have gone over certain big ones. Such as how to safely go behind the horse (either very close, while patting the horse's rear as you cross, or a very wide circle, so you are not within kicking range). Also, bending at the waist and not squatting next to the horse (which always seems backwards to me, since I'm usually thinking of back safety). Did they have her do her own grooming and tacking up of the horse?

Not to hijack, but I have never heard this before (minimal involvement with horses, though). Why is this? I don't normally *ever* bend at the waist; as you said, back safety and also, it looks so unbecoming to bend at the waist. But now I'm curious about this because I have never heard this! :)

• Like 1

Not to hijack, but I have never heard this before (minimal involvement with horses, though). Why is this? I don't normally *ever* bend at the waist; as you said, back safety and also, it looks so unbecoming to bend at the waist. But now I'm curious about this because I have never heard this! :)

I just got my head slammed when I was (stupidly) squatting next to my daughter's horse, checking her boots (some horses go barefoot and wear boots instead of shoes for riding)....the horse spooked at a barking dog that came around the corner, and hit my temple with her knee.

It. Hurt. 

Normally this horse is the calmest of calm and sweetest of sweet, so I had my guard down and squatted. Lesson learned. You can't move quickly when squatting and you are much more likely to be knocked over. 

Also, if you are bending at the waist, the horse is more likely to be aware of your presence. 

• Like 2

Thanks Kand!

yes they did go over the two things about being behind the horse.  She read about 6 horse manuals so she knew that already.  They did have her groom, tack, clean out the feet, brush them, and put the blanket on.  

I don't know about bending at the waist.  I will ask her.

They didn't have her keep her helmet on while she was grooming.  

I am sure they don't want to overwhelm the kids on the first lesson...

What did you think about training the big male horse while the other girls were walking their horses?

I don't think kids necessarily need to wear their helmets when grooming. I think it's a very good idea to wear them while tacking up (speaking from personal experience - my daughter's last horse had a screw loose & reared up a few times while being tacked, flinging my daughter - and everything else - every which way.....but they probably don't use screw-loose horses for barn lessons....:-).

I wouldn't worry about the horse being lunged. That's fairly common at the arena where we have ridden. As long as the horse is under control, it's really not a risk. 

Cool-downs are quite normal, as well. The most important thing is that you - and your daughter - feel good about the lesson, the barn, and how the horses are being treated and cared for. As in all else in ilfe, trust your instincts and your observations. 

• Like 1