Menu

another BYOP (tracfone) question...sorry for all of the questions.

ProudGrandma

I want to change phones.  The one I have isn't working well.  But if I wanted to bring in my own phone and not want to use one of the limited options offered on the tracfone website, how do I go about finding a phone that would work in my area?  I have to enter in a serial number of a phone to see if it will work...but I would only have that if I actually owned the phone.  So, how do I go about doing this?  Is there a list someplace that I can find or what?

thanks.

Does Tracfone have an online chat option? With other companies, I've found the online chat help super useful. I can ask questions and go back after a few minutes (spent with helping school work, doing chores, whatever) and then I end up with a nice record of the conversation. 

I googled "which phones work with tracfone" without the quote marks.

It's that easy.
  • Compatible with Nano SIM devices such as the iPhone 5 (including the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C) iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, HTC One (M8) & Sony Xperia Z.
  • Works with most compatible or unlocked GSM Phones including 4G/4G LTE†, Androidâ„¢ and other smart phones.
  • Nano SIM card size is about 12.3 mm long.

Unless tracfone is using strange GSM bands (those exist, but are not common) I believe that if your Samsung Galaxy is Unlocked and you insert a Tracfone SIM it will work.  For many years, the GSM bands in use, in both North America and in Latin America were the same. There are some new GSM bands now, but the vast majority of GSM  traffic is on those legacy GSM bands, in the Americas (North and South).  

OT: Earlier I'd written that I like that the tracfone stuff you do not use one month carries, over, from one month to another, as long as your account is active. I do like that. Our non-plan-plan with Virgin Mobile Colombia is use it or lose it.  However, when I think back, to the many years we had service where Movistar sent us an invoice every month, that was also use it or lose it.  We lost a lot...  We have saved tons of $ since we switched to "Prepaid" in 2008...

What phones can be used with TracFone?
Requirements for Tracfone BYOP:
  • Can be either a 3G/4G LTE CDMA (compatible with Verizon) phone, or a 3G/4G LTE GSM (compatible with AT&T) phone.
  • Phone must be unlocked with a clean ESN (cannot be under contract, or reported stolen)

Probably any unlocked and unbranded GSM phone, sold in the superstore in Cali, Colombia where we buy phones, will work perfectly in the USA, on a large number of GSM providers... Possibly on all of the GSM providers...

NOTE: If you buy a new phone:  The trend now is for the batteries not to be removable.  That would be a PITA, and $$$, if/when the battery needs to be replaced.

NOTE #2:  There is another trend, which is not to have a slot for an External SD card. Not good...

In February 2017, my wife and DD went to buy a new phone for DD.  On the web site of the superstore, I thought the Moto G4 Play, I think that's what is called, would be a good way to go. I think it has a Removable battery, which is IMO a big "plus"?   But, when they were in the superstore, looking at the other models, they bought a Moto G4. I think it was only about USD $40 (?) more that day, and it has much better specs, but I don't think the battery is removable.  What they bought was well worth the cost differential.

I think they bought a Moto G4 for DD in February, but it might be a Moto G5. I can't remember.  The Sunday they went to the superstore (among other places), the model they bought had a discount, if you paid with the stores own credit card. My wife has one of their credit cards, so the price differential, between what we thought they would buy, and what they did buy, was only 35 or 40 dollars, as I recall. Well worth the extra $, because of much better specs.  Prices here include VAT tax.  

This web page is in Spanish, but you can see which Motorola models they are selling today.  My wife and DD went into the store knowing they would buy a Motorola phone, so that made for much less confusion, although we would also consider a Lenovo if there was a big price differential. We have one Lenovo in the house.  (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility). In approximate numbers, including the VAT tax, they are starting at about USD $132 today. Probably less in the USA and there is no tax there, if you buy from out of state, with exceptions such as on Amazon. The Moto G5 is approximately USD $235 today including VAT. They are including some kind of insurance today. .http://www.alkosto.com/telefonos-celulares/celulares-libres/android/ver/motorola/#lineal

I believe that one should buy the phones they like/want (unlocked and unbranded when it left the factory) and then select their carrier.  I do not believe one should buy a phone that only works on the network of one provider. That's the way it was, in the early days, but this is 2017.  Allow yourself flexibility and the option that you can move to another provider, by changing the SIM card, if you want to or need to.I suggest that you do this in this manner, if you are going to buy a new phone and possibly go to a new provider: First, buy the phone. Then, buy a SIM card and try the other network. If you do not like that network, buy a SIM card for another provider. Or, stay with your current provider.  

ETA: Do not enter enter contracts that require more than one month of service. . If you don't like it the first month, drop them and move to another provider.  Don't enter into an obligation with one provider that locks you in.

Edited by Lanny