Menu

My son received his first official college athletic recruitment letter today.

As his mom, I'm very proud. As his swim coach,the pressure just went up a notch. As his school counselor... time to get serious about the NCAA stuff I've been avoiding. Since it's a military academy, I have a bunch of physical assessments I need to get arranged, and a few other hoops! This is really happening.

• Like 21

We'll be at the school 19 May for a tour. His dad is an alumni, so it will be quite the trip down memory road for him as well. I think we may hear from 3-4 more schools before all is said and done. My stomach is in knots...lol. He's still hoping to swim with Schooling at UT (ha! That would be something, but I don't think he's on their radar, other than NROTC).

• Like 1

We'll be at the school 19 May for a tour. His dad is an alumni, so it will be quite the trip down memory road for him as well. I think we may hear from 3-4 more schools before all is said and done. My stomach is in knots...lol. He's still hoping to swim with Schooling at UT (ha! That would be something, but I don't think he's on their radar, other than NROTC).

Has he put himself ON their radar yet?? :driving:

• Like 1

Has he put himself ON their radar yet?? :driving:

He has expressed interest (both at college swimming, and by directly contacting the coach), he has an official visit lined up on 29 May with the Asst. Coach and the NROTC Admin.  So, yes -- he has put himself on their radar.  

If they look at potential for growth, he's got it in spades.  If they are looking for another Joseph Schooling who can beat Michael Phelps after his freshman year...not so much.  Unfortunately for him, he swims the same events as Joseph.  And UT is the #1 Men's team in the nation.  So, in addition to being a stretch financially, a pretty decent fit academically, it's a swimming stretch as well.  So, swimming isn't a great "hook" for him there (at this point).  UT has their pick from the nation.  So, in all honesty, my distance-swimming daughter (who can also sprint free/fly, and has an outstanding 200 and 400IM) has a much better shot at swimming for UT than my free/flying sprinter son.

In other news, my freshman daughter just got her first "this college is interested in you" notification ;)  Unfortunately, right now she has zero interest in attending there (engineering school -- and she doesn't want engineering at all).