Menu

What to use after GDI cursive?

Misha

We went through the Getty-Dubay cursive books with great success. As they're still 10 and 12, I'd still like them to do regular practice worksheets to keep up their levels of ability as well as improve. 

What do you use next? Full on italic cursive, buy the font from educationalfontware and make your own practice sheets? Something else that I know nothing of yet? 

Please let me know. Thank you!

Make your own sheets or just have them use it as they do their daily work. At those ages, if their handwriting is decent, you really can drop formal lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could look at the copywork books of Handwriting through Literature from Barefoot Ragamuffin. You wouldn't need the phonogram stuff but that could do extra duty as spelling review if you wanted. Or just scroll down to the bottom for the copybooks. It's also easy to use only the workbooks from the higher years of English Lessons through Literature and do those. Just pick the year with lit you already plan to do.

http://barefootmeandering.com/site/lessons-through-literature/hltl/

• Like 1

They did all the GDI workbooks? How does their cursive look? If it's decent and they know how to form the letters, I would move on to dictation to practice handwriting. If they still need help forming letters and you already used the workbooks through level G, I would buy the font and use it for copywork.

I've been happy using SCM Spelling Wisdom for copywork and dictation, since I won't get it done if I have to come up with my own dictation passages. For ds who wouldn't use a handwriting workbook, I typed the SCM passages using educational fontware GDI cursive and gave those to him as copywork.

• Like 2

They did all the GDI workbooks? How does their cursive look? If it's decent and they know how to form the letters, I would move on to dictation to practice handwriting. If they still need help forming letters and you already used the workbooks through level G, I would buy the font and use it for copywork.

I've been happy using SCM Spelling Wisdom for copywork and dictation, since I won't get it done if I have to come up with my own dictation passages. For ds who wouldn't use a handwriting workbook, I typed the SCM passages using educational fontware GDI cursive and gave those to him as copywork.

My 12 year old has gorgeous writing but I still want her to practice. My 11 year old tends to rush and her cursive is sloppier. I've been debating about having her redo the last two books. 

I've read some things about the educational fontware cursive fonts being difficult to link together. Have you found this to be the case at all?

My 12 year old has gorgeous writing but I still want her to practice. My 11 year old tends to rush and her cursive is sloppier. I've been debating about having her redo the last two books. 

I've read some things about the educational fontware cursive fonts being difficult to link together. Have you found this to be the case at all?

No, it isn't hard to link together. You type out the text, and it looks really weird, because it's unlinked. I put the linking program/button on my desktop toolbar, so it was really easy--just cut the text, click the link button, and paste. It links whatever text is on your clipboard and looks like it should when you paste. You just can't switch the font on linked text, because you get all kinds of crazy symbols.

I didn't realize it when I bought it, but your educational fontware gives you all their fonts. I was helping a friend homeschool for a short period and I was able to print out BJU cursive fonts for her kids. I just had to install the new font and linking software for it from my CD.

• Like 1

No, it isn't hard to link together. You type out the text, and it looks really weird, because it's unlinked. I put the linking program/button on my desktop toolbar, so it was really easy--just cut the text, click the link button, and paste. It links whatever text is on your clipboard and looks like it should when you paste. You just can't switch the font on linked text, because you get all kinds of crazy symbols.

I didn't realize it when I bought it, but your educational fontware gives you all their fonts. I was helping a friend homeschool for a short period and I was able to print out BJU cursive fonts for her kids. I just had to install the new font and linking software for it from my CD.

Yes, it really is that easy. Cut, click on link letter, and paste

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk