Menu

"Advanced" precalculus course online?

Does a course like this exist online somewhere?

Precalculus for Advanced Placement

Prerequisite: Placement
Credit: 1 credit per semester
Offered: Fall/Spring Sequence

This course provides the rigorous development of precalculus topics necessary to prepare students for studying Advanced Placement Calculus. The first semester will include the study of polynomial, exponential, logarithmic and trigonometric functions and their graphs. Topics for the second semester include triangle trigonometry, polar coordinates, vectors, sequences and series, analytic geometry, parametric equations, and limits. Elementary proof techniques will be employed throughout the course.

Successful completion of this course will generally result in enrollment in Advanced Placement Calculus AB or BC the senior year.

I'd think AoPS could fit your bill. It's not labeled "advanced", but it sure is.

You don't really need "advanced" precalculus to be doing well in AP calculus; most of what is covered in precalc won't be necessary for calculus (which is why I find "precalculus" such an odd title to begin with)

• Like 2

I'm looking for this particular course because it is a co-requisite for an AP Physics class available online through a B&M school. The precalculus class is not available online, though. This is the kind of school that would know about AoPS. Something to think about.

AoPS has a very rigourous Precalc.

Derek Owens has an honors Precalc that is fine to move on to AP Calculus from. It does not have proofs.

If it is simply a co-requisite of a non-calculus based physics course, then I'd think any good precalc class would give you the foundation needed. If it needs to be approved for your class, then that's a different case.

• Like 1