Menu

Switzerland- where to visit?

sagesavannah

I wrote last month about a trip my daughter and I are going to take through Europe this October, we will be flying into Rome, then visiting Venice for a couple of days, then will take the Bernina Express from Italy to Chur station in Switzerland. We were then just supposed to stay the night and take the train to Paris, but she really wants to see Switzerland before going to Paris. Help me come up with a plan?

I'd like to do 3-4 days, and not cities, but charming country towns, with beautiful nature around.... I know there's the train through the Swiss Alps, but I don't know if that's too much to do after the Bernina Express, and how would we get there, and then also I know the trains to Paris don't connect from there. I'm basically trying to figure out what my options are, and I'm not familiar at all with the country, geography or anything else. I wouldn't mind taking a train somewhere cool, but I have no idea where to go from Chur. And would we need to go back there to take the train to Paris? Thanks!!

Edited by sagesavannah

How fun! I'm actually going to be spending a week in Chur this May. When I get home today and have my travel guide with me I'll let you know what towns I have planned out to visit. And of course I'll post again in May after I'm home. :) All the places I'm planning to visit are small-ish towns, and one national park that has an amazing gorge (Viamala).

Edited by Xuzi
  • Like 1

Okay, so most of the towns I've looked into are within a ~2.5 hour radius of Chur (by train). I'm getting a Swiss Rail pass, because it will get me onto almost all trains, buses, and boats, as well as into several museums in Switzerland. You can buy one that's good for 3 days.

Viamala is the area I'm most excited to visit. There are videos on youtube of the gorge there (you hike down to it), and there's also St Martins church nearby in the town of Zillis (population: 403) that has medieval frescos on the ceiling. There's also some castle ruins. You get to the area from Chur by bus that requires reservations, but they don't need to be booked super far in advance. From what I've been able to gather from looking at the area online, it reminds me of a national park that has bus stops for each of the local sites, and I'm pretty sure the busfare is covered by the RailPass. It seems like a pretty rural-feeling area, even though you'll only be about 30 minutes from Chur.

The Appenzell region may be more what you have in mind. It's 2.25 hours by train, North of Chur, not too far from the Austrian border. The old-town has painted houses. Nearby, in a town called Stein (which you have to take a PubliCar to get to, there's no train or bus) there's a Folklore museum and a dairy that does public tours and cheese tasting.

Luzern: Not a small town, but has a cool painted bridge from medieval times, and several art museums, one which has some Picassos.

And a town that's not on my list to visit (too far) but I would if I could: Interlaken. The pictures of it look gorgeous, and every time I talk to someone who's been to Switzerland before, they sound disappointed when I tell them I won't be able to get to Interlaken.  :lol:

You could visit Lake Constance (Bodensee in German).  It borders Switzerland, Germany, and Austria.  There are a number of resort towns along the lake.  You can take boats across the lake.  You can also rent bikes and ride from one country to another. 

When I went to Europe a while back we stayed in Lauterbrunnen for a few days and it was heaven. Lauterbrunnen is a small traditional town and is surrounded by mountains and has lots to do. There are some underground waterfalls that are really neat and you can take a train up to the top of the Jungfrau mountain. And wow is it gorgeous. I loved it so very much there. We stayed in a traditional Swiss chalet bed and breakfast with yummy Swiss breakfast every morning. Make sure you eat fondue every night!

I found this blog that has lots of pictures:

http://theoverseasescape.com/this-most-beautiful-place-in-the-world-lauterbrunnen-switzerland/

Edited by 4Kiddos