Menu

Hotels near Carnegie Mellon

lisabees

I have two choices.  I don't know the area at all and could use your help!  I will be by myself much of the time, so I would like the hotel to be in an area I can enjoy.  I will be there for three nights, while ds sleeps on campus.

Hampton Inn - University Center

Springhill Suites in Bakery Square

Thank you!!

Both OK.  The Springhill Sweets one is in a walkable neighborhood  and would be my choice.

Bakery Square is where the Nabisco factory was when I was in college (1990s). That part of Pittsburgh always smelled like vanilla.  It was heavenly.

• Like 2

I was just there last weekend with my son.  We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Forbes Ave -- it's in UPitt rather than CM, but it's a (long) walkable straight-shot down Forbes to CM.  There's a garage a block away from the hotel so don't do valet parking.

I'd never been to Pittsburg.  It.is.awesome!!  We spent Sunday afternoon wandering the Mattress Factory and surrounding neighborhood - very cool.  (Totally different area, though.)

• Like 1

Thank you, Pam!   :hurray:  Off to check out Mattress Factory...

ETA: Was your son accepted to CMU?

He was.  Looks like he'll be going, too.  I'm very happy for him -- it really seems like a neat school, and Pittsburgh, who knew?  

The only downside I've discerned is that it's like a million hour drive from here on really some of the most boring roads in America in areas with no radio reception.  Audio books.

Yours as well?

• Like 1

My husband is a CMU grad and I know a lot of guys (and ONE woman) who went there. It is a hard road but you get an excellent education. Good luck!

Ooh. Another question. Is it worth an extra $60 dollars (over three nights) to stay at Bakery Square?

For me, I probably would, since I'd prefer that interesting  neighborhood feel and you can walk to  green space.    The other hotel is more city feeling. But you'd be fine either way.
If it were me, depending on who else is going with you, I'd look into an Airbnb.  There are tons.  Check out Shadyside neighborhood.

• Like 1

He was.  Looks like he'll be going, too.  I'm very happy for him -- it really seems like a neat school, and Pittsburgh, who knew?  

The only downside I've discerned is that it's like a million hour drive from here on really some of the most boring roads in America in areas with no radio reception.  Audio books.

Yours as well?

Yup!  It is between CMU and another school.  I am rooting for CMU, even though I have never been to either!  It seems to me that CMU has the nerdier kids; he likes that!  Playing board games is his idea of of a good time.

I am excited to visit.  I am not excited for the six hour drive, when I just got home last night from a four hour drive.  I was up for hours last night, so it doesn't bode well.

Oldest went to Oberlin, which is 7 1/2 hours away.  Yes, good audiobooks is an absolute must.  You know, the really long ones you would normally avoid...

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

My husband is a CMU grad and I know a lot of guys (and ONE woman) who went there. It is a hard road but you get an excellent education. Good luck!

For me, I probably would, since I'd prefer that interesting  neighborhood feel and you can walk to  green space.    The other hotel is more city feeling. But you'd be fine either way.

If it were me, depending on who else is going with you, I'd look into an Airbnb.  There are tons.  Check out Shadyside neighborhood.

DS will be staying with students on campus, so it will be just me using the hotel room.  We use Airbnb and vrbo all of the time.  In fact, my wedding will be at a vrbo property that we are renting for four days.  I didn't even think of it for this occasion.

I booked Springhill Suites.   :thumbup: